From: Jeffrey Carter <spam@spam.com>
Subject: Re: Variant vs. Tagged Type
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 17:40:45 GMT
Date: 2003-11-05T17:40:45+00:00	[thread overview]

Frank Piron wrote:

> is it possible to make some general statements
> concerning the alternative variant vs. tagged
> type with respect to runtime performance?
> For example:
> if we have an array A 1) of type access to a variant
> 2) of type access <TYPE>'Class
> what can be said about the runtime performance
> of the expression
> A(I).<component>?

It sounds as if you're engaging in premature optimization (the root of
all evil). Do it whichever way is best suited to the problem, and see if
the result is fast enough. 99.99% of the time, the microsecond
differences you're worrying about don't make a difference.

--
Jeff Carter
"Many times we're given rhymes that are quite unsingable."