From: "Jeffrey R. Carter" <jrcarter@acm.org>
Subject: Re: GNAT verses A# for soft-realtime system
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2007 18:04:13 GMT
Date: 2007-04-08T18:04:13+00:00	[thread overview]

Chip and Allie Orange wrote:

> My question was also, does .net have something about it that makes it a poor
> environment for soft real-time systems?  Especially, does it produce code
> that's noticeably slow, or that garbage collects in some way that would make
> it less than desirable for real-time systems with very limited CPU
> resources?

I have no experience with .net, so I cannot say. I understand that it
includes garbage collection, so the usual caveats about using garbage
collection in timing-critical SW would seem to apply.

> Do the additional features of 2005 target real-time systems?

Some do; some don't. In the former category, there are task-termination
handlers, interfaces that must be implemented by tasks or protected
objects, and timing events and handlers, among others.

> Finally, are the products from compiler vendors (Aionix and RR) that much
> better than GNAT/GPL?

It depends on how you define "that much better". GNAT GPL is based on a
mature Ada-95 compiler, but implements most of the new version. The
commercial compilers are Ada-95 compilers. If you restrict yourself to
unchanged Ada-95 features, then they're probably comparable. Otherwise,
you're comparing apples to pears. GNAT GPL has a number of known errors
in the new features; the commercial compilers don't have the new
features. You have to work around the errors in GNAT GPL; you're
unlikely to encounter that with a supported compiler.

--
Jeff Carter
"Go and boil your bottoms."