* Character Type?
@ 1999-01-26  0:00 Chris
From: Chris @ 1999-01-26  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have to make a program that can declare a range of characters from
'1'..'10'  I have been trying everything but I can't seem to find anything
that will work.  This is what I have so far:

SUBTYPE Index IS Character RANGE  '1'..'10';

TYPE X IS ARRAY (Index) OF Character;
TYPE Y IS ARRAY (Index) OF Character;

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

~Chris

* Re: Character Type?
@ 1999-01-26  0:00 ` Tom Moran
From: Tom Moran @ 1999-01-26  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> range of characters from
>'1'..'10'
"10" sure looks like two characters to me.  How about '1' .. '9' or
'0' .. '9'?

* Re: Character Type?
@ 1999-01-27  0:00   ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 1999-01-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bill Ghrist <ghristwd@pgh.net> writes:

> Well, I'm pretty new with Ada, but the obvious problem, I think, is that
> '10' is not a character, it is a string.

I don't think it's either!

GNAT 3.11p  (981118) Copyright 1992-1998 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

Compiling: blug.adb (source file time stamp: 1999-01-27 22:11:18)

     1. with Text_Io;
     2. procedure Blug is
     3. begin
     4.   Text_Io.Put_Line ('10');

        >>> strings are delimited by double quote character

     5. end Blug;

 5 lines: 1 error
gnatmake: "blug.adb" compilation error

* Re: Character Type?
@ 1999-01-27  0:00 ` Bill Ghrist
From: Bill Ghrist @ 1999-01-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris

Well, I'm pretty new with Ada, but the obvious problem, I think, is that
'10' is not a character, it is a string.

Regards,
Bill Ghrist

Chris wrote:

> I have to make a program that can declare a range of characters from
> '1'..'10'  I have been trying everything but I can't seem to find anything
> that will work.  This is what I have so far:
>
> SUBTYPE Index IS Character RANGE  '1'..'10';
>
> TYPE X IS ARRAY (Index) OF Character;
> TYPE Y IS ARRAY (Index) OF Character;
>
> Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
>
> ~Chris

* Re: Character Type?
@ 1999-01-28  0:00   ` robert_dewar
From: robert_dewar @ 1999-01-28  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <36AF1CB3.BC7741B4@pgh.net>,
  ghristwd@pgh.net wrote:
> Well, I'm pretty new with Ada, but the obvious problem, I
> think, is that '10' is not a character, it is a string.

That's confusingly wrong.

Strings in Ada are delimited with the character "

The character ' is used to delimit character literals. The
sequence of characters '10' is not anything at all, it is
simply invalid, as is easily seen from the grammar rules
in the RM.

Now in general of course, you might be right, that if you
see '10' it could be that the programmer intended a string,
and indeed GNAT makes this guess:

     1. procedure j is
     2.   x : character := '10';

        >>> strings are delimited by double quote character

     3. begin
     4.    null;
     5. end;

However, in the original program, it clearly was NOT
intended to be a string, in fact from the original program
I certainly have no idea what the programmer had in mind,
it was clearly very muddled thinking, so it is certainly
not surprising that the compiler could not magically
suggest what the programmer had in mind in this particular
case :-)