From: Simon Wright <simon@pogner.demon.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Which compiler is correct?
Date: 1997/06/19
Date: 1997-06-19T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

bobduff@world.std.com (Robert A Duff) writes:

> In article <33A77C54.5484@bix.com>, Tom Moran  <tmoran@bix.com> wrote:
> >Compilers G and J accept this code.  Compiler O gives the error message
> >indicted in the comment, on said line.  Which is correct Ada?
>
> Compiler O is correct.  The inherited i component of type y is
> implicitly declared within the private part of a.b.  Since a.c cannot
> see this implicit declaration, the i component of z is never implicitly
> declared (although it still exists at run time, and you can get at it by
> doing "x(two).i").

a.c's body can see the full view of type a.x
a.c's body can only see the partial view of type a.b.y
the partial view of type a.b.y says it's a new a.x
so how come the a.x bits of a.b.y aren't visible to a.c's body?

(I'm sure it's true if you say so; I just think most people, after
they've seen this sort of problem and fumbled their way to a
resolution a few times, will have a private spellbook from which they
will select incantations until they find one that works. So what's
new, you say)

--
Simon Wright                        Work Email: simon.j.wright@gecm.com
GEC-Marconi Radar & Defence Systems            Voice: +44(0)1705-701778