* Ada movie, was Computer History Museum, UPCOMING EVENTS
@ 2003-01-22  6:49 tmoran
From: tmoran @ 2003-01-22  6:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

It was a rather good movie about Ada Augusta Lovelace.  There were around
100 people pretty much filling the auditorium.  One of the first questions
was about the Ada language, and the response from the movie producer,
unfortunately, was that he was told at U of Maryland that they don't
currently teach Ada.  So a little later I pointed out that since Babbage's
original impetus for the Difference Engine was the bugginess of math
tables, it was fitting that applications requiring high reliability
are actively using the Ada language.

* Re: Ada movie, was Computer History Museum, UPCOMING EVENTS
@ 2003-01-22 19:27 ` Jeffrey Carter
From: Jeffrey Carter @ 2003-01-22 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

tmoran@acm.org wrote:
> It was a rather good movie about Ada Augusta Lovelace.

Who is this Ada Augusta Lovelace person I keep hearing about? She
certainly has nothing to do with c.l.a.

Once there was a little girl named Augusta, the only legitimate child of
the poet Byron. She was named after her father's half sister. When her
mother found out that Byron and his half sister had had an affair, she
refused to use the name Augusta for the girl and from then on she was
known by her middle name, Ada.

When she grew up, Ada married Mr. King and became Ada King. Later Mr.
King inherited a title and Ada became Mrs. King, Countess of Lovelace.

Ada King, Countess of Lovelace, worked with Babbage and the Ada software
engineering language is named for her, but Ada is not her first name nor
Augusta her middle; nor is Lovelace a surname, but a part of a title.

--
Jeff Carter
"We burst our pimples at you."

* Re: Ada movie, was Computer History Museum, UPCOMING EVENTS
@ 2003-01-22 21:11   ` tmoran
From: tmoran @ 2003-01-22 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

>Who is this Ada Augusta Lovelace person I keep hearing about?
  Sorry, it should be Augusta Ada Lovelace
> Ada King, Countess of Lovelace, worked with Babbage and the Ada software
  She seems to have signed a lot of her letters "A L", "A A L",
"A A Lovelace", or "Augusta Ada Lovelace", and the movie explicitly
mentioned that Menabrea was surprised to find that "AAL" was female.

* Re: Ada movie, was Computer History Museum, UPCOMING EVENTS
@ 2003-01-22 21:33   ` tmoran
From: tmoran @ 2003-01-22 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2003-01-22 22:56   ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2003-01-22 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jeffrey Carter <jrcarter@acm.org> writes:

> When she grew up, Ada married Mr. King and became Ada King. Later
> Mr. King inherited a title and Ada became Mrs. King, Countess of
> Lovelace.

Actually, just "Ada, Countess of Lovelace", I think!

I hadn't realised that her names wer originally the other way round ..

* Re: Ada movie, was Computer History Museum, UPCOMING EVENTS
@ 2003-01-23  1:34     ` Jeffrey Carter
From: Jeffrey Carter @ 2003-01-23  1:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

tmoran@acm.org wrote:
>   She seems to have signed a lot of her letters "A L", "A A L",

Interesting. But then, Elizabeth I signed things "ER", but I don't think
her last name was "Regina" (or "Emergency Room").

British titles are a funny business sometimes. I think her father was
Lord George, but he's often refered to as Lord Byron. We really need a
pronouncement from a peer of the realm or the college of heraldry to
know for sure.

--
Jeff Carter
"My name is Jim, but most people call me ... Jim."

* Re: Ada movie, was Computer History Museum, UPCOMING EVENTS
@ 2003-01-24  6:34       ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2003-01-24  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jeffrey Carter <jrcarter@acm.org> writes:

> British titles are a funny business sometimes. I think her father
> was Lord George, but he's often refered to as Lord Byron. We really
> need a pronouncement from a peer of the realm or the college of
> heraldry to know for sure.

I have this feeling, based on no evidence, that nitpicking over points
like this is the most fun Heralds get with their clothes on!