* ANNOUNCE: GNAT 3.15p release
@ 2002-11-18 17:31 Arnaud Charlet
From: Arnaud Charlet @ 2002-11-18 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

 GNAT is a complete Ada95 compilation system, maintained and distributed
 under the GNU Public License by Ada Core Technologies.

 GNAT is based on GCC, the GNU Compiler Collection developed by the
 Free Software Foundation.

 From time to time, Ada Core Technologies makes available public
 versions of the GNAT technology, derived from the same code base
 as the commercial GNAT Pro technology. These versions are freely
 and widely downloadable from multiple web sites at no charge.
 They are intended for student and research use, where a comprehensive
 Ada 95 compiler technology is needed, but no support of any
 kind is required.

 This is NOT an evaluation version of GNAT Pro: if you want to
 evaluate an industrial-strength, fully supported Ada compiler, please
 contact either Ada Core Technologies (sales@gnat.com) or
 ACT Europe (sales@act-europe.fr) for information on availability and
 support services for the GNAT Professional edition.

 The current distribution of the public version of GNAT is 3.15p. This
 version is based on GCC 2.8.1. It should not be confused with the
 version of GNAT available with GCC 3.2, which is an alpha version of the
 integration of GNAT with recent versions of the GCC code generator, and
 does not correspond to any specific GNAT release.

 GNAT 3.15p is available at http://libre.act-europe.fr/GNAT and is
 mirrored at ftp.cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat

 The list of new features is available at
 http://libre.act-europe.fr/GNAT/3.15p/features

 Arnaud Charlet, ACT Europe

* Re: ANNOUNCE: GNAT 3.15p release
@ 2002-11-19  6:03 ` tmoran
From: tmoran @ 2002-11-19  6:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

  When I try to gnatmake something, it compiles, then ends with:
> gnatbind -x testw.ali
> fatal error: file s-osprim.ali is incorrectly formatted
> make sure you are using consistent versions of gcc/gnatbind
> 4.
> gnatmake: *** bind failed.
  I downloaded and executed gnat-3.15p-nt.exe and gnatwin-3.15p.exe
from libre.act-europe.fr/GNAT to replace my old 3.14 installation.
Is something additonal needed to get "consistent versions of gcc/gnatbind"?

* Re: ANNOUNCE: GNAT 3.15p release
@ 2002-11-19 10:04 ` J�r�me Haguet
From: J�r�me Haguet @ 2002-11-19 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

We faced a small problem with gnat 3.15p and -s switch for gnatmake.
For some compiler switches combinations, it does not recongnize that this is
the same combination.
See example above.
This occurs with linux and windows versions.

Did I miss some changes in this new version ?
Did I miss something in the documentation ?

<71># gnatmake -v -c -s hello_world.adb -cargs -gnatwa -O1

GNATMAKE 3.15p  (20020523) Copyright 1995-2002 Free Software Foundation,
Inc.
  "hello_world.ali" being checked ...
  -> "hello_world.adb" switch mismatch
gcc -c -gnatwa -O1 hello_world.adb
End of compilation
<72># gnatmake -v -c -s hello_world.adb -cargs -gnatwa -O1

GNATMAKE 3.15p  (20020523) Copyright 1995-2002 Free Software Foundation,
Inc.
  "hello_world.ali" being checked ...
  -> "hello_world.adb" different number of switches

"Arnaud Charlet" <charlet@gnat.com> a �crit dans le message de news:
Pine.LNX.4.44.0211181830001.1388-100000@aix...

@ 2002-11-19 10:55   ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2002-11-19 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

tmoran@acm.org wrote:
:  I downloaded and executed gnat-3.15p-nt.exe and gnatwin-3.15p.exe
: from libre.act-europe.fr/GNAT to replace my old 3.14 installation.
: Is something additonal needed to get "consistent versions of gcc/gnatbind"?

I first removed all 3.14 related installations, then installed the
corresponding 3.15p versions. A Hello World! compiles and runs.

Then I've tried mkshapes.bat from the CLAW IE, which ran into
an elaboration circularity.

-- georg
---
Microsoft Windows--a fresh perspective on information hiding

* Re: ANNOUNCE: GNAT 3.15p release
@ 2002-11-19 11:24   ` David C. Hoos, Sr.
From: David C. Hoos, Sr. @ 2002-11-19 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

"J�r�me Haguet" <jeje66@despammed.com> wrote in message
> We faced a small problem with gnat 3.15p and -s switch for gnatmake.
> For some compiler switches combinations, it does not recongnize that this
is
> the same combination.
> See example above.
> This occurs with linux and windows versions.
>
> Did I miss some changes in this new version ?
> Did I miss something in the documentation ?
Yes. The GNAT Users Guiide says -s is used in place of -c, not in addition
to -c

@ 2002-11-19 11:25   ` David C. Hoos, Sr.
From: David C. Hoos, Sr. @ 2002-11-19 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2002-11-19 11:54     ` Duncan Sands
From: Duncan Sands @ 2002-11-19 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Yes. The GNAT Users Guiide says -s is used in place of -c, not in addition
> to -c

Are you not confusing -s and -S?

Duncan.

* Re: ANNOUNCE: GNAT 3.15p release
@ 2002-11-19 13:25       ` J�r�me Haguet
From: J�r�me Haguet @ 2002-11-19 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yes, I think he is
Anyway, suppress the -c option if you want.
The same problem will occur : hello_world.adb will be recompiled.

J�r�me

"Duncan Sands" <baldrick@wanadoo.fr> a �crit dans le message de news:
mailman.1037706962.12732.comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org...

@ 2002-11-19 14:19       ` David C. Hoos
From: David C. Hoos @ 2002-11-19 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Duncan Sands" <baldrick@wanadoo.fr> wrote in message
> > Yes. The GNAT Users Guiide says -s is used in place of -c, not in
addition
> > to -c
>
> Are you not confusing -s and -S?
Yes, I was.  My eyes are not what they used to be.  Sorry.

* Re: ANNOUNCE: GNAT 3.15p release
@ 2002-11-19 19:00     ` tmoran
From: tmoran @ 2002-11-19 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> : Is something additonal needed to get "consistent versions of gcc/gnatbind"?
> I first removed all 3.14 related installations, then installed the
> corresponding 3.15p versions. A Hello World! compiles and runs.
  When I installed 3.15 it asked if I wanted to remove 3.14 and I said
Yes.  When that resulted in the gcc/gnatbind problem I tried "Add/Remove"
to get rid of all Gnat stuff and then reran gnat-3.15p-nt and
gnatwin-3.15p.  "gnatmake test" still gets the same gcc/gnatbind error
message.

> Then I've tried mkshapes.bat from the CLAW IE, which ran into
> an elaboration circularity.
  Apparently the static elaboration in Gnat 3.15 doesn't work like others.
The full fix is an appropriate set of "pragma"s.  That's used in the
upcoming Claw release (which also drops the special patches no longer
needed to get around a Gnat 3.13/3.14 bug).  For today, the easy fix is to
use "-gnatE".

* Re: ANNOUNCE: GNAT 3.15p release
@ 2002-11-19 21:20     ` tmoran
From: tmoran @ 2002-11-19 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I first removed all 3.14 related installations, then installed the
> corresponding 3.15p versions. A Hello World! compiles and runs.
  How about if you add a protected type declaration. I get

gnatbind -x hello.ali
fatal error: file s-osprim.ali is incorrectly formatted
make sure you are using consistent versions of gcc/gnatbind

  when I do "gnatmake hello" where hello.adb is

with ada.text_io;
procedure hello is
  protected Variable is
    procedure Read(X : out integer);
    procedure write(X : in integer);
  private
    v : integer := 0;
  end variable;

  protected body variable is
    procedure Read(X : out integer) is
    begin x := v;end read;
    procedure write(X : in integer) is
    begin v := x;end write;
  end variable;

begin
  ada.text_io.put_line("hello");
end hello;

* Re: ANNOUNCE: GNAT 3.15p release
@ 2002-11-19 21:37   ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2002-11-19 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

"J�r�me Haguet" <jeje66@despammed.com> writes:

> We faced a small problem with gnat 3.15p and -s switch for gnatmake.
> For some compiler switches combinations, it does not recongnize that this is
> the same combination.
> See example above.
> This occurs with linux and windows versions.
>
> Did I miss some changes in this new version ?
> Did I miss something in the documentation ?

I know this problem occurs on 3.15a1 built for Linux from sources, but
thought it was fixed for 3.15a1 binary for Windows. I believe it's
fixed for Linux in a 3.16 wavefront, but that won't help 3.15p users!

(the Linux/Windows business above may be down to my misinterpretation
of an ACT remark and the symptoms, of course. I did wonder why there
would be a difference ..)

For what it's worth, the problem also exists in GCC 3.3 -- at least if
you use any optimisation.

   smaug.pushface.org[19]$ gnatmake -c -u -s -g user.adb -gnatwaL -f
   gcc -c -g -gnatwaL user.adb
   user.adb:10:18: warning: condition is always False
   user.adb:17:16: warning: condition is always False
   smaug.pushface.org[20]$ gnatmake -c -u -s -g user.adb -gnatwaL
   gnatmake: object up to date.
   smaug.pushface.org[21]$ gnatmake -c -u -s -g user.adb -gnatwaL -O2
   gcc -c -g -gnatwaL -O2 user.adb
   user.adb:10:18: warning: condition is always False
   user.adb:17:16: warning: condition is always False
   smaug.pushface.org[22]$ gnatmake -c -u -s -g user.adb -gnatwaL -O2
   gcc -c -g -gnatwaL -O2 user.adb
   user.adb:10:18: warning: condition is always False
   user.adb:17:16: warning: condition is always False

You see that [20] correctly realised there was nothing to do.

* Re: ANNOUNCE: GNAT 3.15p release
@ 2002-11-19 22:46       ` Martin Dowie
From: Martin Dowie @ 2002-11-19 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

<tmoran@acm.org> wrote in message
>   How about if you add a protected type declaration. I get

works ok for me

* Re: ANNOUNCE: GNAT 3.15p release
@ 2002-11-19 23:23         ` tmoran
From: tmoran @ 2002-11-19 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

> works ok for me
Do you have
GNATBIND.EXE  225280 11/13/02 15:11:04
GCC     .EXE   53760 05/27/02 15:50:18
  or something different?
What version of Windows are you running?

* Re: ANNOUNCE: GNAT 3.15p release
@ 2002-11-20  0:37       ` tmoran
From: tmoran @ 2002-11-20  0:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

> : Is something additonal needed to get "consistent versions of gcc/gnatbind"?
  The problem turned out to be the continued existence of an old, patched,
version of s-osprim.ali  Deleting that made things start working.

* Re: ANNOUNCE: GNAT 3.15p release
@ 2002-11-22  6:58 tmoran
From: tmoran @ 2002-11-22  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Are there changes in the default tasking behavior under Windows?

* Re: ANNOUNCE: GNAT 3.15p release
@ 2002-11-22 10:38 ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2002-11-22 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

tmoran@acm.org wrote:
: Are there changes in the default tasking behavior under Windows?

just guessing:
the features files says (for some OSs) that
   foreign threads (those created
   outside Ada) are now recognized automatically and converted
   to Ada tasks for proper treatment by the Ada runtime.
maybe also NF-315-8902-009?

-- georg

* Re: ANNOUNCE: GNAT 3.15p release
@ 2002-11-22 10:39         ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2002-11-22 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Dowie <martin.dowie@no.sp.am.btopenworld.com> wrote:
: <tmoran@acm.org> wrote in message
: news:RWxC9.55518$__1.31039@rwcrnsc51.ops.asp.att.net...
:>   How about if you add a protected type declaration. I get
:
: works ok for me

for me, too. NT4 (de) SP6something.
GNAT 3.15p is first in path.

* Re: ANNOUNCE: GNAT 3.15p release
@ 2002-11-22 10:41       ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2002-11-22 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

tmoran@acm.org wrote:
: The full fix is an appropriate set of "pragma"s.  That's used in the
: upcoming Claw release (which also drops the special patches no longer
: needed to get around a Gnat 3.13/3.14 bug).  For today, the easy fix is to
: use "-gnatE".

Thanks. Diners works after copying the .rbj file to a .res file.

-- georg

* Re: ANNOUNCE: GNAT 3.15p release
@ 2002-11-22 17:08         ` tmoran
From: tmoran @ 2002-11-22 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)