* ada's interrupts
@ 2003-10-27 11:51 Tony
From: Tony @ 2003-10-27 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

as we know we can program interrupt handle in ada program. but does
anyone know how this kind interrupts work? I mean wheather the
hardware can trigger the interrupt. as we program one interrupts
handle in ada, but how it can be trigger? by hardware or software?

Many thanks first,

Tony

scr106@york.ac.uk

* Re: ada's interrupts
@ 2003-10-27 12:01 ` Vinzent 'Gadget' Hoefler
From: Vinzent 'Gadget' Hoefler @ 2003-10-27 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tony wrote:

>as we know we can program interrupt handle in ada program. but does
>anyone know how this kind interrupts work? I mean wheather the
>hardware can trigger the interrupt. as we program one interrupts
>handle in ada, but how it can be trigger? by hardware or software?

Usually by hardware.

Vinzent.

* Re: ada's interrupts
@ 2003-10-27 12:32 ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 2003-10-27 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

That depends entirely on your system. Generally, processors and other
circuitry on your computer board have interrupts for various purposes.
The Run Time System has to give you some method of connecting those
hardware interrupts to your Ada software. That would be a matter to
discuss with the compiler vendor and/or whoever is doing the RTK.

Software can also generate interrupts - sometimes in conjunction with
the hardware. If you're using an RTOS it probably has various kinds of
software interrupts that are triggered by various events that are
hardware or OS related. (Basically, something similar is the basis for
"exceptions" in Ada)

There is even the possibility of user-generated interrupts. But again
that is a matter you need to discover in conjunction with your compiler
vendor, OS vendor or hardware vendor. (Id est, you might be able to set
timers or interact with watchdogs and have interrupts result.)

This is so totally system dependent that the only way you're going to
get information about it is to a) talk to your vendors/RTFM or at least
b) state everything about your confuguration and hope someone here has
used something similar.

MDC

Tony wrote:
> as we know we can program interrupt handle in ada program. but does
> anyone know how this kind interrupts work? I mean wheather the
> hardware can trigger the interrupt. as we program one interrupts
> handle in ada, but how it can be trigger? by hardware or software?
>
> Many thanks first,
>
> Tony
>
> scr106@york.ac.uk

Marin David Condic
I work for: http://www.belcan.com/
My project is: http://www.jsf.mil/NSFrames.htm

Send Replies To: m   o   d   c @ a   m   o   g
                    c   n   i       c   .   r

     "So if I understand 'The Matrix Reloaded' correctly, the Matrix is
     basically a Microsoft operating system - it runs for a while and
     then crashes and reboots. By design, no less. Neo is just a
     memory leak that's too hard to fix, so they left him in... The
     users don't complain because they're packed in slush and kept
     sedated"

         --  Marin D. Condic

* Re: ada's interrupts
@ 2003-10-27 20:51 ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2003-10-27 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

scr106@york.ac.uk (Tony) writes:

> as we know we can program interrupt handle in ada program. but does
> anyone know how this kind interrupts work? I mean wheather the
> hardware can trigger the interrupt. as we program one interrupts
> handle in ada, but how it can be trigger? by hardware or software?

With GNAT --

on Linux, "interrupts" correspond to signals.

on Windows -- dunno.

on VxWorks, interrupts are hardware interrupts (well, as mediated by
VxWorks/some GNAT support ..)

--
Simon Wright                               100% Ada, no bugs.