From: Simon Wright <simon@pogner.demon.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Problems building gnat3.13p on HP-UX
Date: 12 Sep 2000 20:55:55 +0100
Date: 2000-09-12T20:55:55+01:00	[thread overview]

Robert Dewar <robert_dewar@my-deja.com> writes:

> In article
> <slrn8rpi13.365.randhol+abuse@kiuk0156.chembio.ntnu.no>,
> >  I don't have HP-UX, but on my Linux box it is called gnatgcc
>
> That's an oddity for some non-standard distributions of the
> Linux port, it is not used on any standard releases of GNAT

If you only ever want to use the C compiler that comes as part of a
GNAT release, and don't want to use C++ or Fortran or ..., then the
GNAT requirement to put its bin directory on your path is fine.

The modern binary releases have a script trick to allow you to put the
binary anywhere without having to set environment variables.

However, most people will want more than that (and not just on Linux,
either).

I wrote a little package (see http://www.pogner.demon.co.uk/gnatfe/),
which uses tricks rather like those of the latest GNAT binaries, and
as supplied allows you to use GNAT versions of gcc (gnatgcc), gcov
(gnatgcov) and gdb (gnatgdb), plus the standard gnat* commands,
without individual adjustment of your path.