From: Simon Wright <simon@pushface.org>
Subject: Re: Only one compilation unit.
Date: 13 Jul 2001 20:08:33 +0100
Date: 2001-07-13T19:08:33+00:00	[thread overview]

John English <je@brighton.ac.uk> writes:

> McDoobie wrote:
> >
> > Alright, I'm writing a small program using two procedures.
> >
> > Now I'm coding both procedures within the same .adb file. When I go to
> > compile the program I get an error that says "end of file expected, can
> > only have one compilation unit."
> >
> > Now, that only happens when writing programs with more than one procedure.
> >
> > Do I have to put each different procedure in a seperate text file?
>
> For GNAT, yes.
>
> Simple solution: if you have x.adb containing procedure Main and
> procedure Sub, run "gnatchop x.adb" which will split the procedures
> into separate files called main.adb and sub.adb, then run "gnatmake
> main.adb" which will compile Main and any other units that it
> depends on (in this case, Sub). Note that Main will need to say
> "with Sub;" at the top...

It's probably a good idea to name the file containing your source
using a file extension other than .adb or .ads (or .adp or .adc, in
case you take up extended features later). I'd use .ada

We had fun when the source was called Foo.ads, under NT one of the
split files ended up also called Foo.ads -- which overwrote our
original. Also, GNAT does *not* like files with upper-case letters in
the name at all!