From: Simon Wright <simon@pushface.org>
Subject: Re: GNAT Programming System Problems
Date: 22 Jun 2004 21:58:09 +0100
Date: 2004-06-22T21:58:09+01:00	[thread overview]

"Robert C. Leif" <rleif@rleif.com> writes:

> For each of my Ada Utilities, I created its own project.  Since in
> each utility there are packages (mostly bodies) that depend on
> packages in another utility, there are circular dependencies amongst
> the .gpr files.  Fortunately, these do not exist in the
> specifications.  After extensive searching, I found mention of a
> "limited with construct".  The addition of limited before with in
> the project file did not work.

If you want not-yet-standard features such as limited with to work you
must enable them with -gnatX (if I remember correctly) -- a compiler
flag. Not sure if this will be available in anything other than the
latest versions of the compiler, though (free or paid-for!), I think
it was introduced November of last year or thereabouts.

I agree that GNAT Project is not easy to get to grips with, especially
if (as I did) you start out with misconceptions.

A key thing is "every Project must have its own 'Object_Dir" -- it may
seem as though it is working without this but if so it will only be
because of bugs in GNAT Project handling in the tools.

Another key thing is "without project extension, each source file may
appear only once in all the with'ed projects".

The distribution of my ColdFrame (http://pushface.org/coldframe/)
comes with a set of GPRs, if that would help. They successfully build
my regression tests with GNAT 3.15p (but for some reason I haven't
followed through the tests fail with that release. Hmm! I normally
test on 3.16a1 ..)

--
Simon Wright                               100% Ada, no bugs.