From: Simon Wright <simon@pushface.org>
Subject: Re: recherche de document MIL-STD-2167a
Date: 09 Jun 2002 18:51:46 +0100
Date: 2002-06-09T18:51:46+01:00	[thread overview]

"Dr. Michael Paus" <paus@ib-paus.com> writes:

> Simon Wright wrote:

> > Or my HTML version at http://www.pushface.org/mil_498.html
>
> Which is by now also outdated. See note below. Sometimes I have the
> impression that references to these standards are copied from one
> project to the next until someone really tries to find and read them
> :-)

Perhaps you didn't read to the end of the page. I say

   Hasn't MIL-STD-498 been cancelled?

       The position is that the DoD no longer want to fund standards
       such as 498 (it was always a bit of a stopgap). They now use
       IEEE 12207.

       None the less, there are still people (eg, prime contractors
       for UK MoD projects) who stick with 498, for various reasons:

          498 is freely accessible electronically -- the IEEE
          standards aren't, they get income from sale of standards
          documents

          498 comes with DIDs, the IEEE standard doesn't

          There's not a very great deal of difference between the
          standards anyway (I can't vouch for that one!)

   (The last of those is pretty suspect. A 498 project would fit
   fairly well under the IEEE standard, but not vice versa, since the
   IEEE one is much less prescriptive).