From: Simon Wright <simon@pushface.org>
Subject: Re: Ariane5 FAQ, Observer's version, 8th draft
Date: 28 Nov 2004 12:17:40 +0000
Date: 2004-11-28T12:17:40+00:00	[thread overview]

Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au> writes:

> I would argue this was in fact an error in the software installed,
> even though the software itself did exactly as in intended.

An error in the *software installation process*, not in the software.

> If I accidently installed software designed for my Microwave oven in
> my fridge, and my fridge subsequently tried to cook food rather then
> cool/freeze food, I would still consider it an error in the software
> installed. Despite the fact the software did exactly as intended.

No, that would be an error by and in *you* (or your thought processes,
to be fair!)

Software for an embedded environment cannot usually afford the luxury
of checking that the environment it is installed in is appropriate. We
tend to rely on human processes for that. It's not as though the
Ariane engineers could just pick up IRS software off the net ..

--
Simon Wright                               100% Ada, no bugs.