From: Simon Wright <simon@pushface.org>
Subject: Re: Use gnat and emacs(Ada-mode) can not compile file :(
Date: 03 May 2003 20:11:43 +0100
Date: 2003-05-03T20:11:43+01:00	[thread overview]

wangcity@hotmail.com (wang tianyi) writes:

> I use emacs21.3 and Ada-mode.el3.6 with gnat 1.5 compile Ada files
                                          ^^^^^^^^
I don't recognise this, is this gnat 3.15p?

>   in winXP.
>   but when i use "Ada->compile file" from menu,
>   it tell me: "&& gcc -c -gnatq i:/xxx.adb , system can not find need
> file, Compilation exited abnormally with code 1 at Sat May 03
> 15:42:24"
>
>   I just want to compile it for windows NOT want to use 'cross_prefix'
>   but every time i use "complile file" from menu, it always add &&
>   before command gcc -c , and system not find what is &&,
>   so system tell : can not find need file.
>
>   any way can get rid of "&&"?

This isn't ${cross-prefix} (which will be empty, should cause you no
problems).

You're having trouble with your project settings ... I'm using a
supported version, and on Linux, but try this ..

Go to Ada->Project->Edit, click on Ada menu. You should see something
like

Compiling a single file (menu Ada->Compile File):     [Help]  (comp_cmd)
[INS][DEL] cd ${build_dir}
[INS][DEL] ${cross_prefix}gcc -c -g -O2 -gnatqQ -I${src_dir} ${full_current}
[INS]

(your Windows version may say for the first line
[INS][DEL] cd /d ${build_dir}
)

and each successive line is executed with a && to join them up:

  cd /d c:\Temp && gcc -c -g -O2 -gnatqQ -I. c:\Source\foo.adb

I suspect your problem is that the Windows shell that Emacs is using
doesn't understand the && properly.

If you go to the ada-mode home page at
http://libre.act-europe.fr/adamode/ you'll find a pointer to a mailing
list, however it doesn't seem to have been used for a while .. worth a
try.