From: Simon Wright <simon@pushface.org>
Subject: Re: Some help for a C++ guy
Date: 08 Apr 2005 06:50:13 +0100
Date: 2005-04-08T06:50:13+01:00	[thread overview]

defaultuserbr@yahoo.com writes:

> Ed Falis wrote:
> > On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 18:14:22 -0400, <defaultuserbr@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I don't know much more myself, other than we can't use
> > > tasking. I understand that such limitations may make this too
> > > implementation-specific for a general newsgroup. Any help would
> > > be appreciated.
>
> > Dumb question: is there some reason you're not asking AdaCore?
>

> Well, my question really isn't a problem with the tool per se, I'm
> just trying to come up with a design that's better. I doubt they
> would answer such questions.

You should certainly try them and see! It is the sort of question I
would be quite happy asking on our support contract.

> I only mentioned the restriction to forestall anyone suggestioning a
> tasking approach, as I had already tried that on the advice of a guy
> working for the company in Philadelphia.

It sounds from your original question as though you want to use tagged
types, roughly the equivalent of classes & inheritance in C++.

Looking at AdaCore's site
<http://www.adacore.com/gnatpro_high_integrity.php> it says

   GNAT Pro HIE predefines three customized run-time libraries that
   are particularly useful for safety-critical systems.

   These correspond to Ada subsets referred to as the High Integrity
   Profiles:

       * the Zero Footprint (or ZFP) profile, a minimal subset
         requiring no run-time support

       * the Ravenscar profile, a superset of ZFP that supplies the
         Ravenscar tasking features

       * the Cert profile, a superset of ZFP that is based on
         requirements from several major aerospace companies,
         comprising exception handling and some additional features

   The exact set of High-Integrity profiles provided by a GNAT Pro HIE
   implementation depends on the platform.

so I think you at least need to find out what the Cert profile for
your target actually is -- hard to work out how to approach the job
without knowing that!

--
Simon Wright                               100% Ada, no bugs.