* Ada sockets and gnat 3.13 windows and linux interoperability
@ 2003-02-14 15:15 Tony Gair
From: Tony Gair @ 2003-02-14 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

For the adasockets people - I have a client server application written on
linux and gnat 3.13 using adasockets in which I send ada types quite happily
with no problems to and from a server to a client.
If I wanted to recompile the client side to windows using the client code I
have for linux , would this theoretically still work with the linux server ?
would my ada types be preserved ?
regards
Tony

* Re: Ada sockets and gnat 3.13 windows and linux interoperability
@ 2003-02-14 16:27 ` David C. Hoos
From: David C. Hoos @ 2003-02-14 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada mail to news gateway

> For the adasockets people - I have a client server application written on
> linux and gnat 3.13 using adasockets in which I send ada types quite
happily
> with no problems to and from a server to a client.
> If I wanted to recompile the client side to windows using the client code
> have for linux , would this theoretically still work with the linux server
?
> would my ada types be preserved ?
Your types should be preserved if you're using the same version of the
compiler,
and if your linux system is also an intel box -- e.g., not a Sun sparc box.

@ 2003-02-15  0:23 ` Vinzent Hoefler
From: Vinzent Hoefler @ 2003-02-15  0:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

tony_gair@yahoo.co.uk (Tony Gair) wrote:

>If I wanted to recompile the client side to windows using the client code I
>have for linux , would this theoretically still work with the linux server ?

On SigAda 2002 a paper was presented for a Satellite Terminal
Simulator called TSim. They used gnat, Tcl/Tk, TASH, AdaSockets and
the Booch Components and in the paper they state the following:

"Throughout Round-3, we managed to retain the source code
compatibility between Win32 and Linux. So, we could also build
distributed TSim under Linux, and operate exactly the same way.
Miraculously, we also found that the Satellite partitions were
interoperable under Win32 and Linux.
That is, we could run the Satellite partition under Linux, and the
Terminal partition under Win32, with TC connected on the same or a
different machine. Or, we could run the Satellite partition on Win32,
and the Terminal partition under Linux, connected to TC on Win32 -
possibly the same machine running the Satellite server. This was truly
unexpected, and gave us something technically satisfying."

Well, they used the Distributed Systems Annex, but I'd guess, even
without that your chances are very good.

If all else fails, you still can add representation clauses to the
types you are exchanging to make sure they are represented the same
way on all target systems.

Vinzent.

* Re: Ada sockets and gnat 3.13 windows and linux interoperability
@ 2003-02-15  1:22   ` David C. Hoos, Sr.
From: David C. Hoos, Sr. @ 2003-02-15  1:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada mail to news gateway

>> If I wanted to recompile the client side to windows using the client code I
>> have for linux , would this theoretically still work with the linux server ?

> On SigAda 2002 a paper was presented for a Satellite Terminal
> Simulator called TSim. They used gnat, Tcl/Tk, TASH, AdaSockets and
> the Booch Components and in the paper they state the following:

> "Throughout Round-3, we managed to retain the source code
> compatibility between Win32 and Linux. So, we could also build
> distributed TSim under Linux, and operate exactly the same way.
> Miraculously, we also found that the Satellite partitions were
> interoperable under Win32 and Linux.
> That is, we could run the Satellite partition under Linux, and the
> Terminal partition under Win32, with TC connected on the same or a
> different machine. Or, we could run the Satellite partition on Win32,
> and the Terminal partition under Linux, connected to TC on Win32 -
> possibly the same machine running the Satellite server. This was truly
> unexpected, and gave us something technically satisfying."

> Well, they used the Distributed Systems Annex, but I'd guess, even
> without that your chances are very good.

> If all else fails, you still can add representation clauses to the
> types you are exchanging to make sure they are represented the same
> way on all target systems.

It's not representation clauses that are needed, but rather stream
attributes that will control the network representation of the
data as it's transferred between systems.

The Distributed Systems Annex goes so far as to provide endianness-
independent stram attributes, so that the types will be accurately
transferred even between systems with different endianness.

@ 2003-02-15  3:29     ` Vinzent Hoefler
From: Vinzent Hoefler @ 2003-02-15  3:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

"David C. Hoos, Sr." <david.c.hoos.sr@ada95.com> wrote:

>> Well, they used the Distributed Systems Annex, but I'd guess, even
>> without that your chances are very good.
>
>> If all else fails, you still can add representation clauses to the
>> types you are exchanging to make sure they are represented the same
>> way on all target systems.
>
>It's not representation clauses that are needed, but rather stream
>attributes that will control the network representation of the
>data as it's transferred between systems.
>
>The Distributed Systems Annex goes so far as to provide endianness-
>independent stram attributes, so that the types will be accurately
>transferred even between systems with different endianness.

Oh thanks, I didn't know that. I still hadn't the time and opportunity
to play with that...

Vinzent.

* Re: Ada sockets and gnat 3.13 windows and linux interoperability
@ 2003-02-15  6:44   ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2003-02-15  6:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Vinzent Hoefler <JeLlyFish.software@gmx.net> writes:

> On SigAda 2002 a paper was presented for a Satellite Terminal
> Simulator called TSim. They used gnat, Tcl/Tk, TASH, AdaSockets and
> the Booch Components and in the paper they state the following:

Always nice to find one's work in use! (not sure I want to subscribe
just to see this, but it does add to the attraction ..)