* Linux (kernel 2.0.35) ,gcc and gnat issues....
@ 1998-07-19  0:00 Nicholas Donovan
From: Nicholas Donovan @ 1998-07-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Please excuse me if this has been already covered
as I am new to this list and to ADA Programming in general.
I am using Red Hat Linux 5.1 with gcc-2.7.2.3-11  glibc-2.0.7-19 and
gnat-3.09-2. I have the latest version of GRASP (a development
environment similar to emacs.), I have read the Ada Tutorial that
accompanies it and there is no mention of this error or what I might be
doing wrong in my linking. Again I am very new to Ada and would like to
learn this very much. Any help or pointers on this would be appreciated
:-) Anything I try issues the same message re: Linking not done.

When I try to compile my programs I receive the following error...

simple source code:

with Text_IO; use Text_IO;
procedure Hello is
	begin
	   Put_Line ("Hello Program!");
	end Hello;

"  gcc -c hello.adb
gcc: hello.adb: linker input file unused since linking not done "

also if I try
 "   gnatmake -f hello.adb
gcc -c hello.adb
gcc: hello.adb: linker input file unused since linking not done
gnatmake: "hello.ali" WARNING file not found after compile "

Could someone please steer me in the right direction?
I think it's a probably a minor argument I'm missing or somehow my
linking must be off but I have read the tutorials, browsed the
newsgroups but am unable to find the solution. but then again I'm very
new
to all this. :-)

Thanks,
Nick

* Re: Linux (kernel 2.0.35) ,gcc and gnat issues....
@ 1998-07-19  0:00 ` nabbasi
From: nabbasi @ 1998-07-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <35B2AE5F.BD2651A@itccorp.com>, Nicholas says...

>When I try to compile my programs I receive the following error...

..
>"  gcc -c hello.adb
>gcc: hello.adb: linker input file unused since linking not done "

this sounds like you have an installation problem. also gnat 3.09 does not
work with glib.c which red hat 5+ is based on. btw, you should download gnat
3.10p.

>also if I try
> "   gnatmake -f hello.adb
>gcc -c hello.adb
>gcc: hello.adb: linker input file unused since linking not done
>gnatmake: "hello.ali" WARNING file not found after compile "

again, it sounds like installation problem, or you dont have your
environment variables set up right.  make sure you follow the instructions
carfully on how to install and set up the env. variables.

check the gnat chat list (http://www.gnat.com) for pointers on what
you need to change to make gnat link ok on red hat 5 systems.

Nasser

* Re: Linux (kernel 2.0.35) ,gcc and gnat issues....
@ 1998-07-20  0:00 ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 1998-07-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nicholas Donovan <ndonovan@itccorp.com> writes:

> "  gcc -c hello.adb
> gcc: hello.adb: linker input file unused since linking not done "

This means that the gcc you are using doesn't know that .ad[bs] files
are Ada source that need to be passed to the Ada front-end.

Perhaps you need [probably only while doing Ada stuff] to put the
installed binary directory (the one that has the gnatmake you are
executing in it; try "which gnatmake" to show you) /first/ in your
path.

* Re: Linux (kernel 2.0.35) ,gcc and gnat issues....
@ 1998-07-20  0:00   ` Nicholas Donovan
From: Nicholas Donovan @ 1998-07-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

nabbasi@earthlink.net wrote:

> In article <35B2AE5F.BD2651A@itccorp.com>, Nicholas says...
>
> >When I try to compile my programs I receive the following error...
> >
> ..
> >"  gcc -c hello.adb
> >gcc: hello.adb: linker input file unused since linking not done "
> >

> this sounds like you have an installation problem. also gnat 3.09 does not
> work with glib.c which red hat 5+ is based on. btw, you should download gnat
> 3.10p.
>
> >also if I try
> > "   gnatmake -f hello.adb
> >gcc -c hello.adb
> >gcc: hello.adb: linker input file unused since linking not done
> >gnatmake: "hello.ali" WARNING file not found after compile "
> >

> again, it sounds like installation problem, or you dont have your
> environment variables set up right.  make sure you follow the instructions
> carfully on how to install and set up the env. variables.
>
> check the gnat chat list (http://www.gnat.com) for pointers on what
> you need to change to make gnat link ok on red hat 5 systems.
>
> Nasser
Thanks I'll do that! :-)