* Booch components
@ 2000-10-18  1:11 Alexey V. Litvinov
From: Alexey V. Litvinov @ 2000-10-18  1:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

When I tried to use Booch components in my program,
I encountered some trouble with next code (It's abstraction of
database table as file of simular entities.
With little diffirent mechanism of deleting/appending of
records from Dbase-like. Because I'll have little couple
of deleted records with my application and I don't wish
make packing of table, I decide use unbounded queue for list
of deleted records and use values from it when I need to
append new records).

with Ada.Direct_IO;

generic
   type RecDataType is private;
   FileName : String;

package DB_Table is

   type RecCountType      is private;
   type RecPosvCountType  is private;
--.
--.
--. -- routines to read/write/append/etc...
--.

private

   package Table_IO is new Ada.Direct_IO(RecDataType);

   type RecCountType      is new Table_IO.Count;
   type RecPosvCountType  is new Table_IO.Positive_Count;

   type DEItem is record
      Pos: Table_IO.Positive_Count;
   end record;

   package DE_IO is new Ada.Direct_IO(DEItem);

   TableFile : Table_IO.File_Type;
   DEFile   : DE_IO.File_Type;

end DB_Table;

with Ada.Direct_IO;
with BC;
with BC.Containers;
with BC.Containers.Queues;
with BC.Containers.Queues.Unbounded;
with BC.Support.Unmanaged_Storage;

package body DB_Table is

   package Unmanaged_Storage renames BC.Support.Unmanaged_Storage;
   Storage: Unmanaged_Storage.Pool;

   package Containers is new BC.Containers(Item => DEItem);
   package Queues     is new Containers.Queues;
   package UBQueue    is new Queues.Unbounded
                                            (Unmanaged_Storage.Pool, Storage);

--.
--.
--. -- routines to read/write/append/etc...
--.

end DB_Table;

After compliling with GNAT 3.13p:
gcc -c -gnatf db_table.adb
db_table.adb:13:04: instantiation error at bc-containers.ads:132
db_table.adb:13:04: parent type must not be outside generic body
gnatmake: "db_table.adb" compilation error

But this trouble arising only if my package is generic, when I made
just simular simple package compling was saccessful.

Good Old Question: knew somebody what I'm doing wrong,
or why things are going wrong?

PS: at bc.containers.ads:132 we have
private

  -- We need access to Items; but we must make sure that no actual
  -- allocations occur using this type.

  type Item_Ptr is access all Item;
  for Item_Ptr'Storage_Size use 0;

<this>
  type Container is abstract new Ada.Finalization.Controlled with null record;
</this>

  -- Private primitive operations.
  -- These should ideally be abstract; instead, we provide implementations,
  -- but they raise Should_Have_Been_Overridden.

* Booch Components
@ 2002-03-14  8:38 Martin Dowie
From: Martin Dowie @ 2002-03-14  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Simon et al.

For your information and the general interest of c.l.a. WRT
the problem of AdaMULTI and:

"   with base;

    generic
       type item is private;
       with package new_base is new base (item); -- <==== failure
    procedure generic_procedure;"

I've just heard that this will be corrected in v3.5 due April.

Martin

* Booch Components
@ 2001-12-01  5:04 Mt. Nyiragongo
From: Mt. Nyiragongo @ 2001-12-01  5:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Who would be willing to help a newbie figure out how to use the
wornderful Booch components for Ada95?

Perhaps someone who is a user of those components could post a simple
example of how to use the linked lists for instance.  From an example
it might be possible to eventually figure it out, but it is quite hard
to get started at all without an example.

This is not a class project.  I have a small one person project, but a
quite serious project, that must be converted from another language
into Ada.  Without some help with the components, it's hopeless.

Thanks.

* Booch Components
@ 1995-03-08 15:39 Matthew Heaney
From: Matthew Heaney @ 1995-03-08 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Joseph Orost writes:
>
> Remember the Booch Components?  I'm looking for a reference
> to the book that describes them.  Please send email.

The book you are looking for is

Software Components With Ada
Grady Booch
Benjamin/Cummings, 1987
ISBN 0-8053-0609-9

You should be able to order this from a better bookstore.  If you have trouble,
call OpAmp Technical Books at 1-800-468-4322; they have it in stock.

The book is excellent.  In addition to thoroughly describing the components,
it provides a gentle introduction to data structures.

Of course, if you have any questions, just contact me; I've used the Booch
Components extensively.

Matthew Heaney
Hughes Aircraft
f22heaney@mass.dnet.hac.com

* Booch Components
@ 1994-12-01 15:20 John Porter
From: John Porter @ 1994-12-01 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi:

I am looking for information concerning the use of Booch Components.
Specifically, what are the licensing issues associated with their
use?  How much does a license cost?  Where are they available and
does anyone have their phone number?

I appreciate any response that I can get.  Please, however, send e-mail
as my news reader is unreliable at this time.

Thanks.

JP
--
------------------------------------
--John Porter; DL-TID-T           --

* Re: Booch Components
@ 1992-10-13 12:37 dog.ee.lbl.gov!news!vela!wsu-cs!usenet.ins.cwru.edu!agate!linus!linus.mit
From: dog.ee.lbl.gov!news!vela!wsu-cs!usenet.ins.cwru.edu!agate!linus!linus.mit @ 1992-10-13 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

The Boch Components are distributed in source form (at least the ones
I worked with were).  I've used them before, and they're a great time-
saver.

The way to think about whether they're worth it for you are to
figure out how many of the packages described in Booch's book
(Software Components in Ada, or something like that, I don't have
a copy here) you would use.  The distributed components are
just the code in the book, in all varieties (there's a list in
an appendix.)  You could code them up yourself if you needed to.
So is it cheaper to code or buy?

The Booch components are also pretty much bug-free (I don't
remember problems, but I might have forgotten or missed some.)

Another good thing about them is that you find yourself
choosing the components that best suit the problem, not
just trying to re-use the ones you already wrote.  (This
assumes, of course, that there are Booch components that
match your problem.)

Julian C. Lander
jclander@mitre.org
(Standard disclaimer goes here.)

* Re: Booch Components
@ 1992-10-10  2:41 think.com!sdd.hp.com!ux1.cso.uiuc.edu!news.cso.uiuc.edu!ehsn4.cen.uiuc.ed
From: think.com!sdd.hp.com!ux1.cso.uiuc.edu!news.cso.uiuc.edu!ehsn4.cen.uiuc.ed @ 1992-10-10  2:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

curtis@dataco.UUCP (Ralph Curtis) writes:

>Does anyone have experience with the Booch Components for ADA. Are they
>distributed in source or object form? Are they worth the money?

>TIA.

I believe our version was in source form. I don't know how much it was,
but it certain has helped our project with memory management tools.

Duc T. Le
led@sunfs1.dsd.northrop.com

* Booch Components
@ 1992-10-09 15:47 Ralph Curtis
From: Ralph Curtis @ 1992-10-09 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does anyone have experience with the Booch Components for ADA. Are they
distributed in source or object form? Are they worth the money?

TIA.

***--------------------------------------------------------------***
* DISCLAIMER:                                                      *
* ==========:                                                      *
*    The opinions expressed are solely of the author and do not    *
*    necessarily reflect the opinions of Canadian Marconi Company. *
***--------------------------------------------------------------***

* Booch Components
@ 1989-08-01 16:04 Marcus Moehrmann
From: Marcus Moehrmann @ 1989-08-01 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does anybody know where I can get the Booch Components for less than
we have to pay in Germany (1.700 Deutsche Mark). Thanks in advance.

Marcus

***  Marcus Moehrmann         ***  PHONE: +49-40-851 17 98  ***
***  TeX:  M\"{o}hrmann       ***         +49-40-790 94 28  ***
***  UUCP: marcus@fkihh.UUCP  ***         +49-40-4123-2573  ***
*** Do not mail more than some 10 KBytes to me, we must pay ***
*** 1.-- Deutsche Mark for each received Kilobyte !!!!!!!!! ***