From: Simon Wright <simon@pushface.org>
Subject: Re: Problem space (Re: Using Ada for device drivers? (Was: the Ada mandate...))
Date: 13 May 2003 22:04:10 +0100
Date: 2003-05-13T22:04:10+01:00	[thread overview]

maa@liacc.up.pt (M�rio Amado Alves) writes:

> > >... I told someone working on our (Ada) compiler: "No, in Ada you
> > >model the problem space, not the solution space."  I then excused
> > >myself for a minute to write it on my office whiteboard. (Robert)
> >
> > I wish that statement will be placed on all major Ada sites, in
> > boldface and at the top of their homepages. (Alexandre)
>
> Astonishingly convergent independent statement: "the rich type
> system of Ada lets the problem express itself as source code" (my
> paper on Ada-Europe 2003).

Can't help feeling that a problem that can be explained by source code
is going to be on the small side. And I don't fancy using source code
to back up my design to customers.

On the other hand, I remember a colleague who claimed that his VDM
spec was an excellent foundation for a customer review when annotated
with English!