* Q: gcc -c does NOT compile Ada code?
@ 1998-04-30  0:00 Geb
From: Geb @ 1998-04-30  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm new to this group.  I was trying to compile Ada code using
GNAT (latest 3.10?) installed on my Linux machine.
According to GNAT's docs, gnat is  built on gcc.  However,
I found the gcc (2.7.21) that comes with the Slackware Linux
doesn't seem to recognize the file format with gcc -c myada.adb.
So I guess I may need to rebuild the gcc on myown?

Thanks,
Geb

* Re: Q: gcc -c does NOT compile Ada code?
@ 1998-05-01  0:00 ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 1998-05-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Geb <geb@pineapple.apmaths.uwo.ca> writes:

> I'm new to this group.  I was trying to compile Ada code using
> GNAT (latest 3.10?) installed on my Linux machine.
> According to GNAT's docs, gnat is  built on gcc.  However,
> I found the gcc (2.7.21) that comes with the Slackware Linux
> doesn't seem to recognize the file format with gcc -c myada.adb.
> So I guess I may need to rebuild the gcc on myown?

2.7.2.1, I think.

You _may_ need some sleight of hand to get all the compilers working
properly, but -- at a guess -- are you trying to use the gcc command
to link? use gnatmake instead. eg,

  gcc -c foo.adb  # ok, but to start with just ..
  gnatmake foo    # ok
  gcc foo.adb     # not ok, Ada needs much more work behind the scenes

* Re: Q: gcc -c does NOT compile Ada code?
@ 1998-05-04  0:00 ` Scott Ingram
From: Scott Ingram @ 1998-05-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geb

Geb wrote:

(snip)
> I found the gcc (2.7.21) that comes with the Slackware Linux
> doesn't seem to recognize the file format with gcc -c myada.adb.
> So I guess I may need to rebuild the gcc on myown?

No it won't, as gcc needs to be built with support for Ada in order to
handle it properly.  I am not aware of any distribution that includes
Ada in the default GNU CC suite.

Not necessarily.  If you are using any of the other languages that use
the GNU CC compiler, its easier to manage by building from sources.  If
not, then just install the binary available from ACT's ftp site.

--
Scott Ingram
Sonar Processing and Analysis Laboratory