* Announcement: Finite State Editor
@ 2001-05-31 10:05 Christoph Grein
From: Christoph Grein @ 2001-05-31 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

FSMedit V1.4 has been released. This is the first full implementation.

The licensing information has been updated.

FSMedit is an editor for finite state machines. It is written in Ada with the
graphical user's interface by Claw. For token recognition, OpenToken is used.

It is released under GPL and comes with full documentation.

Download from

     http://home.T-Online.de/home/Christ-Usch.Grein/Ada/

or from AdaPower.

* Re: Announcement: Finite State Editor
@ 2001-06-01  8:03 ` Tarjei T. Jensen
From: Tarjei T. Jensen @ 2001-06-01  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Christoph Grein wrote in message ...
>FSMedit V1.4 has been released. This is the first full implementation.
>
>The licensing information has been updated.
>
>FSMedit is an editor for finite state machines. It is written in Ada with
the
>graphical user's interface by Claw. For token recognition, OpenToken is
used.

>It is released under GPL and comes with full documentation.

This is likely to mean that the output will not be usable in commercial
applications. Is that your intention? If it is, then please re-consider.
This could mean that Ada is not used because a similar tool may be available
in another language.

Greetings,

* Re: Announcement: Finite State Editor
@ 2001-06-01 18:33   ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2001-06-01 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <9f7i8s$rpc1@news.kvaerner.com>, Tarjei T. Jensen says...

>Christoph Grein wrote in message ...
>>FSMedit is an editor for finite state machines. It is written in Ada with
..
>>It is released under GPL and comes with full documentation.
>
>This is likely to mean that the output will not be usable in commercial
>applications. Is that your intention? If it is, then please re-consider.

Emacs is a text editor that is released under the GPL, yet its output is
perfectly usable with whatever license you care to use. Why is this different?
As long as you don't try to link against the editor itself, you should be OK.

---

* Re: Announcement: Finite State Editor
@ 2001-06-02  8:28 ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2001-06-02  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Christoph Grein <christoph.grein@eurocopter.com> writes:

> FSMedit is an editor for finite state machines. It is written in Ada
> with the graphical user's interface by Claw. For token recognition,
> OpenToken is used.
>
> It is released under GPL and comes with full documentation.

Claw is a proprietary library, its license is incompatible with the
GPL, and it is not part of the operating system.  Thus anyone but you
cannot distribute modified versions of FSMedit, and FSMedit is not
free software.  Is this your intention?

I believe the FSF has some suggestions for working around this problem
on their web pages.

* Re: Announcement: Finite State Editor
@ 2001-06-04 20:31     ` Tarjei Tj�stheim Jensen
From: Tarjei Tj�stheim Jensen @ 2001-06-04 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Dennison wrote:
> Emacs is a text editor that is released under the GPL, yet its output is
> perfectly usable with whatever license you care to use. Why is this different?
> As long as you don't try to link against the editor itself, you should be OK.

This is more similar to bison. I don't know the licensing implications
of using bison these days, but the output used to be infected with a GPL
virus.

Greetings,

* Re: Announcement: Finite State Editor
@ 2001-06-05 20:30       ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2001-06-05 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Tarjei Tj�stheim Jensen" <tarjei@online.no> writes:

> Ted Dennison wrote:
> > Emacs is a text editor that is released under the GPL, yet its output is
> > perfectly usable with whatever license you care to use. Why is this different?
> > As long as you don't try to link against the editor itself, you should be OK.
>
> This is more similar to bison. I don't know the licensing implications
> of using bison these days, but the output used to be infected with a GPL
> virus.

No more.

Bison 1.28's bison.simple says

  /* As a special exception, when this file is copied by Bison into a
     Bison output file, you may use that output file without restriction.
     This special exception was added by the Free Software Foundation
     in version 1.24 of Bison.  */

-S

* Re: Announcement: Finite State Editor
@ 2001-06-14 18:07   ` Charles Hixson
From: Charles Hixson @ 2001-06-14 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tarjei T. Jensen wrote:

> Christoph Grein wrote in message ...
>
>>FSMedit V1.4 has been released. This is the first full implementation.
>>
>>The licensing information has been updated.
>>
>>FSMedit is an editor for finite state machines. It is written in Ada with
>>
> the
>
>>graphical user's interface by Claw. For token recognition, OpenToken is
>>
> used.
>
>>It is released under GPL and comes with full documentation.
>>

> This is likely to mean that the output will not be usable in commercial
> applications. Is that your intention? If it is, then please re-consider.
> This could mean that Ada is not used because a similar tool may be available
> in another language.
>

> Greetings,

If you do link against the program, what this means is that if you wish
to sell it commercially, then you need to negotiate a separate license
with the author.  The authors have the right to release copies of their
work under multiple licenses.

Releasing a work under the GPL allows one the option of also selling it
under a different license of ones choosing.

--
Charles Hixson

Copy software legally, the GNU way!
Use GNU software, and legally make and share copies of software.
See http://www.gnu.org
     http://www.redhat.com
     http://www.linux-mandrake.com
     http://www.calderasystems.com/
     http://www.linuxapps.com/

* Re: Announcement: Finite State Editor
@ 2001-06-18 10:27 Christoph Grein
From: Christoph Grein @ 2001-06-18 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

Just back from holidays.

The license terms are: The editor itself and its documentation are under GPL,
the output (i.e. a finite state machine and its generated Ada code template) is
under any terms you choose.

This is like any editor, whether it's proprietary or not, what you edit is not
covered by the editor's license.

The license terms included in the distribution should make this clear.

Christoph Grein