* Runtime evironment from gnat3.12p to gnat3.14 (Linux)
@ 2002-07-22 14:50 Mahesh Patel
From: Mahesh Patel @ 2002-07-22 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have a question about Linux (Mandrake 7.1) and GNAT Ada (3.12p
to 3.14).  I took over a application which was compiled with the
gnat3.14 development environment.  They had a process in which
they sent just the Ada application executables to the customer
who had a PC with Mandrake 7.1 and the appropriate shared
objects (from gnat3.12p) necessary to run the Ada application.
The customer's environment was just an execution environment (no
development libraries are on the machine).  I found out that they
had the shared objects from gnat3.12p and the Ada application built
with gnat3.14 will not execute.

My question after researching it on the Web - are the following
files the only shared objects (/usr/lib) required to execute an
Ada executable built with gnat3.14:

        libflorist-3.13p.so.1.7
	libgnarl-3.14.so
	libgnat-3.14.so

Thanks for your help in advance.

Mahesh Patel

* Re: Runtime evironment from gnat3.12p to gnat3.14 (Linux)
@ 2002-07-22 15:00 ` Jacob Sparre Andersen
From: Jacob Sparre Andersen @ 2002-07-22 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mahesh Patel wrote:

 > I found out that they
> had the shared objects from gnat3.12p and the Ada application built
> with gnat3.14 will not execute.

No. I am almost certain that you have to have the same
version of the runtime libraries as of the compiler itself,
to make a program run.

If your users are too lazy to install the apropriate runtime
libraries, you can solve the problem by linking them
statically to your program (have a look at what the
arguments "-bargs -static" do to `gnatmake`).

Jacob
--
"Only Hogwarts students really need spellcheckers"
                                 -- An anonymous RISKS reader

* Re: Runtime evironment from gnat3.12p to gnat3.14 (Linux)
@ 2002-07-24 22:35 ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2002-07-24 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

mpatel@aegistg.com (Mahesh Patel) writes:

> My question after researching it on the Web - are the following
> files the only shared objects (/usr/lib) required to execute an
> Ada executable built with gnat3.14:
>
>         libflorist-3.13p.so.1.7
> 	libgnarl-3.14.so
> 	libgnat-3.14.so

Use

  $ ldd your-program

to see what shared libraries your-program needs.