From: Simon Wright <simon@pushface.org>
Subject: Re: [GNAT commercial USE] -- can i use GNAT to develop a closed source commercial application ?
Date: 15 Aug 2003 20:40:30 +0100
Date: 2003-08-15T20:40:30+01:00	[thread overview]

Erlo Haugen <_elh_@_terma_._com_> writes:

> The GNAT compiler is not certified, afaik.
> Just bear that in mind if your project requieres using Ada.

Nor would GCC's C, C++ compilers be, of course.

I expect you could get GNAT certified, but you would have to pay ACT
quite a bit of money. (The ACATS suite is available for download but
it is not, AIUI, easy to use).

Last time I asked, many Ada compilers' certificates had run out (I may
have misunderstood this).

But in any case, the affordable Ada compilers (public GNAT, Aonix, RR
.. any others?) are all going to do an excellent job for you.

Our viewpoint for our supported GNAT compilers is generally that we
believe the compilers could be validated if our customer wanted to pay
an extra -whatever- over the contract cost, but neither he nor we will
gain from it in practice.