* Berkeley DB bindings
@ 2003-02-11  6:49 Karel Miklav
From: Karel Miklav @ 2003-02-11  6:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

I need a simple free database like 'Berkeley DB' or 'Goods' with Ada
bindings. Can you please recommend something?

Regards,
Karel Miklav

* Re: Berkeley DB bindings
@ 2003-02-11  9:05 ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2003-02-11  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karel Miklav wrote:
> I need a simple free database like 'Berkeley DB' or 'Goods' with Ada
> bindings. Can you please recommend something?

Postgresql/mysql are too big?

--
Preben Randhol ---------------- http://www.pvv.org/~randhol/ --
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent", Isaac Asimov

* Re: Berkeley DB bindings
@ 2003-02-11 11:55   ` Karel Miklav
From: Karel Miklav @ 2003-02-11 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Preben Randhol wrote:
> Postgresql/mysql are too big?

I'm experimenting with low-level databases; I just need basic
functionality. And if there are other ways like Booch components +
serialization + Ada95 features, that would be OK too.

Regards,
Karel Miklav

* Re: Berkeley DB bindings
@ 2003-02-11 16:58     ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2003-02-11 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karel Miklav <karel@inetis.spppambait.com> writes:

> Preben Randhol wrote:
> > Postgresql/mysql are too big?
>
> I'm experimenting with low-level databases; I just need basic
> functionality. And if there are other ways like Booch components +
> serialization + Ada95 features, that would be OK too.

I can't tell if some other approach is "better", because I don't know
what you are really doing; all you've said is "experimenting with
low-level databases".

--
-- Stephe

* Re: Berkeley DB bindings
@ 2003-02-11 20:19     ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2003-02-11 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karel Miklav <karel@inetis.spppambait.com> writes:

> I'm experimenting with low-level databases; I just need basic
> functionality. And if there are other ways like Booch components +
> serialization + Ada95 features, that would be OK too.

The BCs support the Ada stream attributes, but (so far as I know, but
people might not have told me!) no one has used them like this. Not to
say it couldn't work!

The scheme would have to be

   read data from file
   manipulate data
   write data to file

(ie, all the manipulations are in-memory, no transfers to file).

* Re: Berkeley DB bindings
@ 2003-02-12  6:59       ` Karel Miklav
From: Karel Miklav @ 2003-02-12  6:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephen Leake wrote:
> Karel Miklav <karel@inetis.spppambait.com> writes:
>>Preben Randhol wrote:
>>>Postgresql/mysql are too big?
>>
>>I'm experimenting with low-level databases; I just need basic
>>functionality. And if there are other ways like Booch components +
>>serialization + Ada95 features, that would be OK too.
>
> I can't tell if some other approach is "better", because I don't know
> what you are really doing; all you've said is "experimenting with
> low-level databases".

I'm interested in serialization of objects. If I had some more lives I'd
try to reproduce Eaglespeed FIRM, but for now I'd just like to see how
things work. As I understand they built the FIRM on AVL trees, thus I'm
also asking about advanced containers with serialization.

My goal is to get rid of multi-tier architecture as much as possible.
Multiple tiers may be fun for scripting, but it's not fun if you have to
  check the same data n-times in n-languages. I intend to build a
stupid-simple object store, play with Ada in the meantime, then I'll see.

Regards,
Karel Miklav

* Re: Berkeley DB bindings
@ 2003-02-12 12:19         ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 2003-02-12 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

If all you want to do is serialize objects, then check out the 'Read,
'Write, 'Input & 'Output attributes relating to Ada's Streams. In most
respects, they work really slick - especially for data structures asnd
objects with inheritance - if you do it properly. Basically, if you set it
up properly, you pretty much have to do it only once at the base class level
& everything else inherits it. The only really bad news is that you have
little control over the representation of the data unless you painstakingly
build all of your own routines for the attributes.

Someone else mentioned the Grace components as a good place to start for
containers. Also see www.adapower.com for more libraries of containers and
other useful things.

MDC
Marin David Condic
I work for: http://www.belcan.com/
My project is: http://www.jsf.mil/

Send Replies To: m c o n d i c @ a c m . o r g

    "Going cold turkey isn't as delicious as it sounds."
        -- H. Simpson