From: Andre Spiegel <spiegel@inf.fu-berlin.de>
Subject: Re: What's Pure for Dist Sytems?
Date: 1997/06/19
Date: 1997-06-19T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Dale Stanbrough <dale@goanna.cs.rmit.EDU.AU> writes:

> After playing with Gnatdist and wanting to use it as a basis for some
> assignment work, I was struck by the extent of the restriction of only
> Pragma Pure for "Remote Call Interface" packages.

> I was especially upset at the restriction of no {un}bounded strings.

> Is there anything that i'm missing here?

There is a proposal to add pragma Remote_Types to some of the
predefined packages (see Ada Issue ai-00126, at
http://sw-eng.falls-church.va.us/AdaIC/standards/95com/ada-issues/).

However, even under this proposal, Ada.Strings.Bounded and
Ada.Strings.Unbounded are still non-remote.  I find this an
intolerable restriction, too, and I wonder if anyone sets out to
remedy this...

Andre Spiegel
Free University of Berlin