From: "Dmitry A. Kazakov" <mailbox@dmitry-kazakov.de>
Subject: Re: Questions about socket programming
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2014 10:48:36 +0100
Date: 2014-12-27T10:48:36+01:00	[thread overview]

On Fri, 26 Dec 2014 19:21:48 -0600, Randy Brukardt wrote:

> Ada is powerful enough that such lock-in
> shouldn't be necessary.

It isn't. There is no way to implement sockets in Ada without doing system
calls.

Obviously sockets should be included into the standard library. Even
considering embedded targets, socket I/O is probably more relevant there
than text I/O, which is a part of the library.

GNAT sockets could be a good reference point. The only important (for
embedded applications) part missing is raw sockets.

> So it's better to use a package that is more
> portable, like Claw.Sockets (if you're already locked into Windows) or
> Adasockets or (coming soon) NC_Sockets.

Actually GNAT sockets are more portable than AdaSockets, as they work on a
wider set of targets (e.g. VxWorks). You mean compiler independence.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov