From: Kevin K <kevink4@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Questions about socket programming
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2015 05:41:15 -0800 (PST)
Date: 2015-01-15T05:41:15-08:00	[thread overview]

I've used Gnat.Sockets when the project I was working on started to support Windows in addition to Linux.

It reduced the number of unique files that were required between the 2 systems.

The main issues we encountered were issues with the Gnat Sockets select call.  GNAT uses a hidden socket in the background to enable termination of the select, and there was some interaction with our code that caused exceptions sporadically.  Never able to reproduce it in a small test case. I ended up writing a companion package that would use the OS calls for the select, with no issues. It has been several years, so it may be fixed now.

The other, as mentioned, were raw sockets.  Due to project requirements, we needed to be able to specify several IP header fields exactly, and the TOS capability isn't supported on modern Windows.