From: Ole-Hjalmar Kristensen <ole-hjalmar.kristensen@substitute_employer_here.com>
Subject: Re: Universal type in Ada
Date: 16 Jun 2005 10:18:44 +0200
Date: 2005-06-16T08:20:49+00:00	[thread overview]

Please do not do this. As someone (may have been John Max Skaller) on
comp.lang.c++ said once, "casting is something you do when fishing".
Think about what you are trying to do, and try to figure out how this
can be accomplished by the tools available to you in Ada, like
generics or run-time polymorphism.

    z> Hi, I am trying to create a Universal type in Ada such as "Object" in
    z> Java so that I could define a function that returns a value in this
    z> Universal type, then I could lower-cast value in this type to its
    z> specific type such as String, Float or any user-defined types. Because
    z> in Java if a method returns an Object, it could be casted to any other
    z> types that are subtypes of Object. Is there a Universal type in Ada?
    z> Could anyone tell me how to create such types in Ada, please?

--
The Sun also rises