From: guerby@gnat.com (Laurent Guerby)
Subject: Re: NVRAM or how can I enforce a range check in Ada83.
Date: 1996/11/19
Date: 1996-11-19T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Robert> identify = some indication of an error = pretty vague.

Robert> For example, a compiler is conforming if it says the
Robert> following:

Robert> In accordance with 1.1.3(1,4), this compiler identifies
Robert> program units that contain errors by not generating an object
Robert> file for any such units.

   This is one point where the ACVC (I'm thinking about the B tests)
can be see as very positive.  A vendor whose compiler intends to play
this game ("unit blah is legal/illegal, thank you good bye.")  will
have to face a huge paperwork effort (more than 1000 B tests with may
be 10 or more errors per test = 10_000 splits, forget it). Worth
producing some error messages near where the "-- ERROR" are ;-).

   I've never heard complaints about Ada compiler error messages (as
opposed to code quality or bugs) and ACVC B tests might not be foreign
to that. Think about the average C compiler error messages ...

--
Laurent Guerby <guerby@gnat.com>, Team Ada.
   "Use the Source, Luke. The Source will be with you, always (GPL)."