From: guerby@gnat.com (Laurent Guerby)
Subject: Re: question on exceptions
Date: 1996/11/03
Date: 1996-11-03T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Michiel> Questions: Unlike an exception in C++, an Ada exception
Michiel> cannot carry any extra information besides it's own name. In
Michiel> C++ you can have an exception of a certain class
Michiel> e.g. SQL_Exception, and then put a message in an exception
Michiel> when it occurs. The exception handler can then use that
Michiel> information to write on a log-file or the like. It seems to
Michiel> me that this is a more flexible concept (exceptions as
Michiel> objects) than that of Ada (exceptions as scalar types).  I
Michiel> hope you can convince me that I'm wrong! What do you think?

   In Ada 95 an exception can carry a message (String), I believe this
functionality was added to help logging (an example of use you give).
Exceptions are not "scalar" types, look at Ada.Exceptions if you're
interested in Exception_Occurence objects.

   If you need more information to pass with an exception, may be it's
better to add a few parameters to your interface.

--
Laurent Guerby <guerby@gnat.com>, Team Ada.
   "Use the Source, Luke. The Source will be with you, always (GPL)."