From: guerby@gnat.com (Laurent Guerby)
Subject: Re: Gnat For use at Question
Date: 1996/07/12
Date: 1996-07-12T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

[...]
Spasmo> That's exactly what I got. The thing is I don't have the RM so
Spasmo> I was unable to look up the specifics.

   Where did you get GNAT from? I guess that most Ada CD have an
hypertext version of the RM lying somewhere (and may be even of the
Rationale, Ada Quality & Style, Ada in Action, FAQs, Lovelace and
other tutorials). If not, I hope the next releases will pick all this
free high quality material. Of course if you have web access, just
have a look at:

   http://lglwww.epfl.ch/Ada

[...]
Spasmo> : Some_Array : String(1..4000);
Spasmo> : for Some_Array'Address use Some_Array_Address;

Spasmo> Is the 'Address necessary?  Every book I have doesn't mention
Spasmo> it but just says for Some_Array.

   Hum it's the Ada 95 syntax and I guess your books all are Ada 83
books. The Ada 83 syntax is:

   for Some_Array use at Some_Array_Address;
                      ^^

   The Ada 95 syntax is more uniform, clauses follow the general syntax:

   for Entity'Attribute use Value;

[...]
Spasmo> Hmmmm ok, well here's a question about To_Address.  Since PC's
Spasmo> use segment, base addressing, is there an overload of
Spasmo> To_Address that accepts both a segment and base, or is it up
Spasmo> to us to "massage" the number into the proper format for
Spasmo> To_Address?  Are there any functions that do this "massaging"
Spasmo> for us?  Thanks for the help.

   This is a question for a DJGPP master I guess. If you manage to
make it work with GCC/C, it should work the same way with GCC/Ada.

--
Laurent Guerby <guerby@gnat.com>, Team Ada.
   "Use the Source, Luke. The Source will be with you, always (GPL)."