From: Ted Dennison<dennison@telepath.com>
Subject: Re: windows bindings
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 17:05:32 GMT
Date: 2001-10-12T17:05:32+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <mailman.1002896718.11068.comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org>, David Botton
says...
>Practical example:
>
>In GWindows you have handlers that can be used to set events, but it is also
>possible to use OO to override various events and respond to them. Would
>that mean that my Whatchamakalit Order Entry forum must now be released
>under GMGPL since it uses OO to handle events from say
>GWindows.Windows.Window_Type
>
>At what point is something an extension to GWindows or an entity on to its
>own, becomes very blurred here...

It doesn't seem that blurred to me. If you put your "extension" in one of your
own packages, then it is in a separate program unit from the GMGPL'ed sources.
There's no actual sources from the GMGPL'ed unit in your program unit (package),
so the only real copyright issue with the use of the program unit that is under
the GMGPL is that you are linking against it. The GMGPL clearly says that
linking cannot by itself force you to use the GPL, so you are free.

---

However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.