* beginner in GNAT for Windows
@ 2002-01-22  5:57 ivan markose
From: ivan markose @ 2002-01-22  5:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have tried to compile and run the 'Hello world' example given in the
User's guide like so: (This being a copy of the action at the DOS prompt)

D:\GNAT\bin>gcc -c  d:\gnat\hello.adb

D:\GNAT\bin>gnatbind hello

D:\GNAT\bin>gnatlink hello
gnatlink: Couldn't locate gcc

Why couldn't gnatlink find gcc especially since there was no complaint the
first time ?

On the other hand I didn't get very far with the following either:

D:\GNAT\bin>gnatmake d:\gnat\hello
gnatbind -x hello.ali
gnatmake: error, unable to locate gnatbind

Any help and further pointers on configuring GNAT for Windows
would be appreciated.

Thanks
Ivan Markose

* Re: beginner in GNAT for Windows
@ 2002-01-22 10:05 ` Jerry van Dijk
From: Jerry van Dijk @ 2002-01-22 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

"ivan markose" <ivanmarkose@hotmail.com> writes:

> D:\GNAT\bin>gcc -c  d:\gnat\hello.adb

Normally GNAT is installed on the C: drive. Did you install it on the D:
drive, or copy it there ? It could be that a registry setting is wrong,
look under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Ada Core Technologies.
Or maybe there is another gcc installed as well ? Is d:\gnat\bin before
it in the path ? Also, does a 'gnatls -v' show proper version and paths ?

--
--  Jerry van Dijk   | email: jvandyk@attglobal.net
--  Leiden, Holland  | web:   users.ncrvnet.nl/gmvdijk

* Re: beginner in GNAT for Windows
@ 2002-01-22 11:29 ` John English
From: John English @ 2002-01-22 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

ivan markose wrote:

> I have tried to compile and run the 'Hello world' example given in the
> User's guide like so: (This being a copy of the action at the DOS prompt)
>
> D:\GNAT\bin>gcc -c  d:\gnat\hello.adb
>
> D:\GNAT\bin>gnatbind hello
>
> D:\GNAT\bin>gnatlink hello
> gnatlink: Couldn't locate gcc
>
> Why couldn't gnatlink find gcc especially since there was no complaint the
> first time ?
>
> On the other hand I didn't get very far with the following either:
>
> D:\GNAT\bin>gnatmake d:\gnat\hello
> gnatbind -x hello.ali
> gnatmake: error, unable to locate gnatbind

Sounds like gnatmake/gnatlink are failing to find the other commands
using the path; make sure your path includes d:\gnat\bin. It's
generally a good idea to start in another directory and then type
"gnatmake"; if it can't find gnatmake, your path is *definitely*
wrong.

 Senior Lecturer           | http://www.it.bton.ac.uk/staff/je
 Dept. of Computing        | ** NON-PROFIT CD FOR CS STUDENTS **
 University of Brighton    |    -- see http://burks.bton.ac.uk

* Re: beginner in GNAT for Windows
@ 2002-01-23  4:42 ` ivan markose
From: ivan markose @ 2002-01-23  4:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Having read the replies to my query yesterday(21 jan 00), I uninstalled Gnat
from my D drive and set it up in the C drive, where it nows lives in C:\Gnat
.
I also changed the ADA_INCLUDE_PATH variable to c:\Gnat;c:\Gnat\bin,
through the environment editor on my NT machine. The registry entries all
have C as the root directory now.

On running:
C:\GNAT\bin>gnatls -v

This was the output:

GNATLS 3.13p  (20000509) Copyright 1997-1999 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

Source Search Path:
   <Current_Directory>
   c:\Gnat\
   c:\Gnat\bin\
   C:\GNAT\Bindings\Win32Ada\
   C:\GNAT\lib\gcc-lib\pentium-mingw32msv\2.8.1\adainclude\

Object Search Path:
   <Current_Directory>
   C:\GNAT\Bindings\Win32Ada\
   C:\GNAT\lib\gcc-lib\pentium-mingw32msv\2.8.1\adalib\

Source Search Path now includes c:\gnat and c:\gnat\bin - the latter
being where gcc lives.

A run like this however still failed to find gcc

C:\GNAT\bin>gcc -c c:\gnat\examples\hello.adb

C:\GNAT\bin>gnatbind hello

C:\GNAT\bin>gnatlink hello
gnatlink: Couldn't locate gcc

Is there anything else I should do?

Thanks to Gautier, Jerry and John for replies to my post.

Regards
Ivan Markose

@ 2002-01-23  8:52   ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2002-01-23  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

"ivan markose" <ivanmarkose@hotmail.com> writes:

> Is there anything else I should do?

Install with administrator rights ?

Pascal.

--|

* Re: beginner in GNAT for Windows
@ 2002-01-23 11:05 Gautier Write-only-address
From: Gautier Write-only-address @ 2002-01-23 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > Is there anything else I should do?

Pascal:

>Install with administrator rights ?

Even with them I also have a similar problem on NT4, GNAT 3.13p:

  gnatmake: error, unable to locate gcc

- this after installing GNAT into "c:\program files\gnat"
with administrator rights _and_ fixing the registry about
the ' ' in "program files" (-> DOS name).
My turnaround is to use AdaGIDE, with works just fine!
-> http://www.usafa.af.mil/dfcs/bios/mcc_html/adagide.html

* Re: beginner in GNAT for Windows
@ 2002-01-23 12:40   ` John English
From: John English @ 2002-01-23 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

ivan markose wrote:

> Having read the replies to my query yesterday(21 jan 00), I uninstalled Gnat
> from my D drive and set it up in the C drive, where it nows lives in C:\Gnat
> .
> I also changed the ADA_INCLUDE_PATH variable to c:\Gnat;c:\Gnat\bin,
> through the environment editor on my NT machine. The registry entries all
> have C as the root directory now.

Yes, but have you set your PATH (not your ADA_INCLUDE_PATH or your
ADA_LIBRARY_PATH) to include c:\gnat\bin? You are unlikely to want
to look for package specs in c:\gnat\bin, so I cannot see why you
want to include it in ADA_INCLUDE_PATH; you want it in PATH, which
specifies where to look for *executable programs*.

@ 2002-01-23 13:24   ` Jerry van Dijk
From: Jerry van Dijk @ 2002-01-23 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

"ivan markose" <ivanmarkose@hotmail.com> writes:

> Having read the replies to my query yesterday(21 jan 00), I uninstalled Gnat
> from my D drive and set it up in the C drive, where it nows lives in C:\Gnat
> .
> I also changed the ADA_INCLUDE_PATH variable to c:\Gnat;c:\Gnat\bin,
> through the environment editor on my NT machine. The registry entries all
> have C as the root directory now.

Ok, you are almost there. However I think you are confused by the different
environment variables used.

The most important one is the PATH variable, on NT, if you look at the PATH
environment variable for the administrator, it should have 'c:\gnat\bin' as
the first enty. If it isn't (but probably is in the user environment variable
PATH) you have to de-install GNAT and install it again from an account that
has administrator rights.

The Ada_Include_Path is used to tell the compiler where to find specific
ada spec files, as Ada_Objects_Path is used to tell the compiler where the
related object files live. You do not need to set either of them for GNAT
itself. On NT these paths are set in the registry, and the 'gnatls -v'
command shows you where they point. I see in you message that they are
Ok.

So, check the PATH environment variables on your machine, and try to use
GNAT again when they are set-up properly. If you still have problems, post
again.

success,
Jerry.

--

@ 2002-01-25  2:07 ivan markose
From: ivan markose @ 2002-01-25  2:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, my thanks to all who provided information. I have now installed
AdaGIDE and it is working fine. I find command line tools cryptic and
difficult to use.

Ivan Markose