From: wilsher@rintintin.Colorado.EDU (Thomas Wilsher)
Subject: Re: C to Ada83 Translation
Date: 10 Feb 95 20:25:00 GMT
Date: 1995-02-10T20:25:00+00:00	[thread overview]

>In article <3gre40$8tm@news.primenet.com>, d-lfred@Primenet.Com (Del Fredricks) writes:

>> Has anyone attempted to write a straight through translator to
>> convert C, Kernighan and Ritchie, into Ada 83?

On my NeXT cube at home I have an executable named c2ada,
which translates C *headers* to the ada equivalent.
I believe that this program was released in binary form only,
and I don't have the author's name here.

Although much less ambitious in scope than what the original poster
suggested, it seems that this program would still be very useful.
It seems this program could be extended to generate Ada
wrappers around C functions autmatically, the function bodies themselves
 being implemented in C and being imported. (I am assuming something like
GNAT's 'pragma import' here). That would allow you to get a system
up and running
fairly quickly from existing C code, and then one could go in
and rewrite the function bodies in Ada over time.
Any comments on the feasability of such a scheme? (I am not an Ada programmer)
Also, has anyone any pointers to the c2ada program, is it still
publically available (maybe even with source, at this point), and is it any good?

--thomas