From: Robert A Duff <bobduff@shell01.TheWorld.com>
Subject: Re: Null Record is not always Null
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 17:28:20 GMT
Date: 2002-10-10T17:28:20+00:00	[thread overview]

Colin Paul Gloster <Colin_Paul_Gloster@ACM.org> writes:

> I agree, but the HTML version on the Ada Information Clearinghouse
> website does not provide the numbering ...

I use the plain ascii text version, which has the advantage of being
able to cut-and-paste rules from the RM into posts and e-mail messages.

I'm surprised the HTML version has no paragraph numbers.
I consider an Ada RM without paragraph numbers to be useless.

The actual ISO Ada standard does not have paragraph numbers -- it's
against the ISO Standard for writing standards.  So when I produced the
final version, I produced one for ISO without paragraph numbers, and one
for everybody else with paragraph numbers.

>...(and I do not always feel like
> counting manually)

And if you *did* count manually, I'll bet you'd get the wrong answer in
some cases.  ;-)  The algorithm for determining the paragraph numbers is
arcane -- I never fully understood it.  There are several places where
there are paragraph numbers next to blank space, or the numbering starts
at 2.  And in the new version with the Corrigendum included, there are
cases like E.2.2(9.3).

- Bob