From: Robert A Duff <bobduff@world.std.com>
Subject: Re: Constraint error?
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 20:52:53 GMT
Date: 2001-06-04T20:52:53+00:00	[thread overview]

"Marin David Condic" <marin.condic.auntie.spam@pacemicro.com> writes:

> I think it would be useful for beginning users of Ada to be shown everything
> in the context of Unbounded strings for their simplicity and ease of use.

I agree.  But as you say, you unfortunately have to keep converting back
and forth to String, and you have to know about operations of type
String as well.  Too bad Unbounded strings don't have a superset of the
capabilities of String (eg, literals, indexing, I/O).

> *Maybe "skin" is the word to distinguish between a thin binding, a thick
> binding and a subsystem? You have a "binding" a "skin" and a "subsystem"
> wherein a "skin" shields you from uncomfortable parameters, but doesn't add
> any significant functionality? But this is another debate...

"Skin" is what I would call a "wrapper".

- Bob