From: Robert A Duff <bobduff@world.std.com>
Subject: Re: Are unconstrained arrays passed by references?
Date: 1999/08/11
Date: 1999-08-11T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

bourguet@my-deja.com writes:

> Is there a way to guarantee a pass by reference for a given type?

There are several ways -- look up "by-reference" in the RM index.
Eg a limited record is always passed by reference.

> BTW, I'd not have passed a slice, due to the warning of not using
> expression.

A slice is a name, and a slice of an object is an object.

> I though that one raison for which several types in C may have
> different pointer size what to make it possible to use packed arrays
> of char. But I may be wrong.

Well, maybe, but the C compilers I know of on word-addressable machines
don't pack.  It's not clear how one would *ask* for packing in C,
and it's not clear that it should be turned on by default (if at
all).

- Bob
--
Change robert to bob to get my real email address.  Sorry.