From: Robert A Duff <bobduff@shell01.TheWorld.com>
Subject: Re: Fussy Standard: what is modulo Address?
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 14:10:22 GMT
Date: 2003-01-23T14:10:22+00:00	[thread overview]

Wes Groleau <wesgroleau@despammed.com> writes:

> Robert A Duff wrote:
> > what it must mean.  What else could "address modulo mumble" mean besides
> > the "mod" operator on type Address?  So I disagree that it's a bug.
>
> Bob, I don't necessarily agree with Victor in general, but...
>
>   "modulo" means "mod" is fairly plain, but
>    "mod"   means "mod" is plainer.   :-)

Well, perhaps, but I expect people to understand that "multiply" or
"times" in an English sentence means the "*" operator of whatever type
we're talking about.  Likewise, "modulo" refers to the "mod" operator.

You wouldn't say ``This is "*"'d by that.''  You would say ``This is
multiplied by that.''

Anyway, you *might* convince me that I should have written it more
clearly.  But I doubt that you could convince the ARG that it is
important enough to change in the next revision of the RM.  Especially
when the AARM annotations make it 100% clear what the author meant.

- Bob