* C++ source of GANT compiler ???
@ 2000-01-31  0:00 Manuel Baz
From: Manuel Baz @ 2000-01-31  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

We need  to make a GNAT compiler on DG/UX from source files, the source
files of
GNAT version 3.11 are Ada95 , but we don't have a Ada95 compiler on this
platform.

We do have C++ compiler on DG/UX.

Please , where could we get the C++ source of GNAT Compiler (any
version) ???

Thanks in advance.

* Re: C++ source of GANT compiler ???
@ 2000-01-31  0:00 ` Tarjei T. Jensen
From: Tarjei T. Jensen @ 2000-01-31  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Manuel Baz wrote in message <389568BF.69A8DA62@tor.indra.es>...
>We need  to make a GNAT compiler on DG/UX from source files, the source
>files of
>GNAT version 3.11 are Ada95 , but we don't have a Ada95 compiler on this
>platform.
>
>We do have C++ compiler on DG/UX.
>
>Please , where could we get the C++ source of GNAT Compiler (any
>version) ???

I think you will have to create a cross compiler. Use the gcc and gnat source
and compile the code on a supported plattform. And make sure dg/ux is the
target. Exactly how to do it I don't know. You may have to read up on the
process.

Greetings,

* Re: C++ source of GANT compiler ???
@ 2000-01-31  0:00 ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2000-01-31  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <389568BF.69A8DA62@tor.indra.es>,
  mbaz@tor.indra.es wrote:

> Please , where could we get the C++ source of GNAT Compiler (any
> version) ???

:-)

I seriously doubt there *ever* was C++ source for Gnat. The C++ language
was still under development while Gnat was being created back in the
'93-'94 time frame. I think Gnat was already self-hosted (iow: Compiled
using Gnat) when I first came in contact with it back in '94. There may
once have been C code that compiled a very minimal version of the
language, but that would be long gone by now.

--
T.E.D.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* Re: C++ source of GANT compiler ???
@ 2000-01-31  0:00   ` Jean-Marc Bourguet
From: Jean-Marc Bourguet @ 2000-01-31  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <874buq$n56$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
  Ted Dennison <dennison@telepath.com> wrote:
> In article <389568BF.69A8DA62@tor.indra.es>,
>   mbaz@tor.indra.es wrote:
>
> > Please , where could we get the C++ source of GNAT Compiler (any
> > version) ???
>
> :-)
>
> I seriously doubt there *ever* was C++ source for Gnat. The C++
language
> was still under development while Gnat was being created back in the
> '93-'94 time frame.

At that time C++ was already a used and usable language, well... as
much usable as today.

> I think Gnat was already self-hosted (iow: Compiled
> using Gnat) when I first came in contact with it back in '94. There
may
> once have been C code that compiled a very minimal version of the
> language, but that would be long gone by now.

I'm quite sure that gnat was first compiled with Ada83 compilers and
so that there was never a C or C++ version.

-- Jean-Marc

@ 2000-01-31  0:00   ` Robert A Duff
From: Robert A Duff @ 2000-01-31  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Dennison <dennison@telepath.com> writes:

>...There may
> once have been C code that compiled a very minimal version of the
> language, but that would be long gone by now.

No, the original versions of the GNAT front end were written in Ada 83.

Of course, the back end was and is written in C.

- Bob

* Re: C++ source of GANT compiler ???
@ 2000-02-01  0:00   ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2000-02-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Tarjei T. Jensen" <tarjei.jensen@kvaerner.com> writes:

> Manuel Baz wrote in message <389568BF.69A8DA62@tor.indra.es>...
> >We need  to make a GNAT compiler on DG/UX from source files, the source
> >files of
> >GNAT version 3.11 are Ada95 , but we don't have a Ada95 compiler on this
> >platform.
> >
> >We do have C++ compiler on DG/UX.
> >
> >Please , where could we get the C++ source of GNAT Compiler (any
> >version) ???
>

> I think you will have to create a cross compiler. Use the gcc and gnat source
> and compile the code on a supported plattform. And make sure dg/ux is the
> target. Exactly how to do it I don't know. You may have to read up on the
> process.

Yes, this is the correct approach. It is not that hard!

Contact ACT for support in doing this; they often put a lot of effort
into evaluation support for potential customers. They may also have
such a port in the works. Just send an email to 'sales@gnat.com'; the
worst that could happen is they say "no thanks" !

-- Stephe

* Re: C++ source of GANT compiler ???
@ 2000-02-05  0:00   ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2000-02-05  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <874buq$n56$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
  Ted Dennison <dennison@telepath.com> wrote:
> In article <389568BF.69A8DA62@tor.indra.es>,
>   mbaz@tor.indra.es wrote:
>
> > Please , where could we get the C++ source of GNAT Compiler
(any
> > version) ???
>
> :-)
>
> I seriously doubt there *ever* was C++ source for Gnat. The
C++ language
> was still under development while Gnat was being created back
in the
> '93-'94 time frame. I think Gnat was already self-hosted (iow:
Compiled
> using Gnat) when I first came in contact with it back in '94.
There may
> once have been C code that compiled a very minimal version of
the
> language, but that would be long gone by now.

The GNAT front end was always 100% Ada, it started life by
being bootstrapped using Alsys Adaworld on a Sun Sparc. There
never was and likely never will be C nor C++ code for GNAT
(what would be the point?) There is no need, since cross-
compilation works fine for moving to new platforms.

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies