From: Robert A Duff <bobduff@shell01.TheWorld.com>
Subject: Re: Annex I?
Date: 31 Mar 2005 16:34:45 -0500
Date: 2005-03-31T16:34:45-05:00	[thread overview]

"Mattias Lindblad" <ml_news@matli.net> writes:

> Hi,
>
> In IEEE 1003.5, even in the 1999 edition, there are some references to
> Annex I of the LRM (for example in 3.3.17.2).

What's IEEE 1003.5?

>... I have noticed that there
> is no such annex in the current revisions of the LRM, but the
> references seem to map directly onto Annex J instead.
>
> I'm curious about why this annex has changed its name from I to J. I
> can't find any references to this event. My best guess is that "I" was
> to easily confused with "1". But I am not able to find a copy of the
> standard where Annex I exists, so I can't see if there are any
> differences in the content that would explain the name change.
>
> Is there anyone who knows the true story about this?

As I recall, the ISO standard for standards forbids Annexes I and O,
probably for the reason you guessed.  There might have been a
preliminary version with an Annex I, which would have been produced
before I had read the ISO standard for standards and obeyed all the
nitpicking rules and regulations -- I don't remember.  But if so, nobody
should be referring to such a preliminary, unapproved version.

The Ada RM also has Annexes N and P, but not O.

The ISO rules also forbid paragraph numbers.  So we put paragraph
numbers in the version that most folks look at -- but if you buy it from
ISO, it will be sans paragraph numbers.

- Bob