From: Robert A Duff <bobduff@shell01.TheWorld.com>
Subject: Re: Delayed deallocation of non-terminated task in Gnat?
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2011 07:58:07 -0400
Date: 2011-09-01T07:58:07-04:00	[thread overview]

Adam Beneschan <adam@irvine.com> writes:

> On Aug 31, 11:21�am, Robert A Duff <bobd...@shell01.TheWorld.com>
> wrote:
>> Adam Beneschan <a...@irvine.com> writes:
>> > Actually, I just found this in the Ada 83 manual (13.10.1(8)):
>>
>> > "If X designates a task object, the call FREE(X) [where FREE is an
>> > instance of Unchecked_Deallocation] has no effect on the task
>> > desginated by the value of the task object. �The same holds for any
>> > subcomponent of the object designated by X, if this subcomponent is a
>> > task object."
>>
>> > This language got dropped in Ada 95, but I think it was intended that
>> > these still be the semantics, for a task without discriminants (Ada 83
>> > did not allow task discriminants). �I'm not sure why the language was
>> > omitted; ...
>>
>> It might have to do with the fact that task values don't formally
>> "designate" anymore.
>
> But access objects do, and in the RM83 paragraph, X is an access
> object.

Right, but there are two "designate" in the Ada 83 wording.
I was referring to the second one.

In Ada 83, a task object contains a task value, which is a pointer
that designates a task.  So if you have an access-to-task object,
it's value designates a task object whose value designates the task.

>...By the way, the only way one can know that
> the RM doesn't say anything happens to the task is to read and fully
> understand the entire RM, ...

Yeah, that's a problem.

- Bob