From: Robert A Duff <bobduff@world.std.com>
Subject: Re: Enhancement needed
Date: 2000/09/13
Date: 2000-09-13T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

"Nick Roberts" <nickroberts@callnetuk.com> writes:

> I think the IAs can be understood by understanding the RM95 in two lights:
> (a) the political viewpoint; (b) the technical viewpoint. The IAs fall
> in-between the two, where you can't _tell_ them to do something (that would
> be impolitic, the people who sell boats that sink would complain), but you
> can _recommend_ that they do it.

Nonsense.  (How's that for "impolitic"? ;-))  The reason the IA isn't
*required* is usually because the IA is not well defined from a formal
point of view.  It uses terms that are not defined in the RM, or talks
about things from an implementation point of view rather than a language
definition point of view.  It has nothing to do with being impolitic --
after all, we weren't shy about putting in all the other thousands of
hard requirements.

- Bob