* Requeue and IN OUT parameters
@ 2001-05-04 20:28 adam
From: adam @ 2001-05-04 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have a couple more questions about protected objects.  Here's the first
question; the second will be in a separate post.

9.5.4(11) says that if an entry body completes other than by a
requeue, the program returns to the caller and any copy-back of
parameters occurs.  What happens to the parameters if the entry
body does a requeue?  In this example:

    protected PR is
       entry E1 (Count : in out integer);
       entry E2 (Count : in out integer);
    end PR;

    protected body PR is
       entry E1 (Count : in out integer) when Some_Condition is
       begin
           if Blah_Blah_Blah then
               Count := Count + 1;
               requeue E2;
           end if;
           Do_A_Bunch_Of_Other_Stuff;
       end E1;
    . . .

In this example, does the effect of the statement "Count := Count + 1"
become lost?  Is the value E2 sees the original value of Count, the
incremented value, or implementation-dependent?

(Actually, I believe this question is pertinent to task entries also.)

				-- thanks, Adam

   NewsOne.Net prohibits users from posting spam.  If this or other posts
made through NewsOne.Net violate posting guidelines, email abuse@newsone.net

* Re: Requeue and IN OUT parameters
@ 2001-05-05  6:27 ` Mark Biggar
From: Mark Biggar @ 2001-05-05  6:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

adam@irvine.com wrote:

> I have a couple more questions about protected objects.  Here's the first
> question; the second will be in a separate post.
>
> 9.5.4(11) says that if an entry body completes other than by a
> requeue, the program returns to the caller and any copy-back of
> parameters occurs.  What happens to the parameters if the entry
> body does a requeue?

If an entry body ends with a requeue the as far as the caller is
concerned the entry call isn't finished yet, so no copy back
should happen yet.

> In this example:
>
>     protected PR is
>        entry E1 (Count : in out integer);
>        entry E2 (Count : in out integer);
>     end PR;
>
>     protected body PR is
>        entry E1 (Count : in out integer) when Some_Condition is
>        begin
>            if Blah_Blah_Blah then
>                Count := Count + 1;
>                requeue E2;
>            end if;
>            Do_A_Bunch_Of_Other_Stuff;
>        end E1;
>     . . .
>
> In this example, does the effect of the statement "Count := Count + 1"
> become lost?  Is the value E2 sees the original value of Count, the
> incremented value, or implementation-dependent?

It is implementation dependent whether "in-out" parameters are
implemented using copy-result or by-reference.  So, it appears
to be implementation defined whether or not the modification to
Count is lost.  Thus the above code is non-portable.  Now some types
are by definition by-reference (limited, tagged, etc.) and for
these types the above is portable and the modification would
survive.  Thus to make your example portable you could wrap
Count inside a limited record type and force portable behavior.

Note, one possible surprising implication of this is that if a timed
entry call with by-refernece in-out parameters times out there is
no guarantee that those parameters have not been modified.

--
Mark Biggar
mark.a.biggar@home.com

* Re: Requeue and IN OUT parameters
@ 2001-05-05 22:13 ` Robert A Duff
From: Robert A Duff @ 2001-05-05 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

adam@irvine.com writes:

> 9.5.4(11) says that if an entry body completes other than by a
> requeue, the program returns to the caller and any copy-back of
> parameters occurs.  What happens to the parameters if the entry
> body does a requeue?  In this example:
>
>     protected PR is
>        entry E1 (Count : in out integer);
>        entry E2 (Count : in out integer);
>     end PR;
>
>     protected body PR is
>        entry E1 (Count : in out integer) when Some_Condition is
>        begin
>            if Blah_Blah_Blah then
>                Count := Count + 1;
>                requeue E2;
>            end if;
>            Do_A_Bunch_Of_Other_Stuff;
>        end E1;
>     . . .
>
> In this example, does the effect of the statement "Count := Count + 1"
> become lost?

No.

>...  Is the value E2 sees the original value of Count, the
> incremented value, or implementation-dependent?

The incremented value.

> (Actually, I believe this question is pertinent to task entries also.)

Yes, and the answer is the same there.

- Bob