From: Robert A Duff <bobduff@shell01.TheWorld.com>
Subject: Re: Size of Vector limited to 1024 MB of Heap Size
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 13:32:40 -0400
Date: 2008-06-24T13:32:40-04:00	[thread overview]

Dennis Hoppe <dennis.hoppe@hoppinet.de> writes:

> my machine has 4 GB of RAM and I am wondering, why I can't use
> at least 2 or 3 GBytes to run an Ada program. ...

I don't think this has anything to do with Ada or GNAT.
It's an OS issue.  You could verify that by writing
a similar memory-eating program in some other language,
like C.

I had a similar problem a while ago, where the OS was reserving 2GB of
the address space for itself, by default.  But there was an option
to decrease that to 1GB, leaving 3GB for the user-mode program.
I don't remember if I did that on windows or linux (or both).

So check if there is such an option on linux.

Anyway, if you're getting that close to the hardware limit of 4GB,
it's probably time to upgrade to a 64-bit machine (and OS)!

- Bob