* AdaTutor Compilation with GNAT
@ 2011-09-22  2:57 George
From: George @ 2011-09-22  2:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Listers,

I refer to the article

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.ada/browse_thread/
thread/6192a34d0c9ffe5b/177a4ab5525a77a2 .

I followed the instructions of PRINTME.TXT "APPENDIX D:  INSTALLING
AdaTutor ON OTHER COMPUTERS" on page p. 41ff. The steps 1. to 8.
worked perfectly.

I tried to compile AdaTutor as mentioned in step 9., page 43, of
PRINTME.TXT on my Debian GNU Linux 5.0 Lenny with GNAT 4.3.2 / gcc-4.3
using

gnatmake ADA95.ADA and
gnatmake VANILLA.ADA .

Neither does compile. gnat says:

gcc-4.3 -c -x ada ADA95.ADA
ADA95.ADA:35:01: end of file expected, file can have only one compilation
unit
gnatmake: "ADA95.ADA" compilation error

As I am new to Ada, it seems that GNAT expects the specification and the
body of a package to reside in different files. In the sources of
AdaTutor, specification and body reside in one .ADA file.

Is there a way to tell gnat to accept that format? Is there a program
that can separate specification from body? Do I have to use a different
compiler? Is there another way to fix that?

Kind regards

George

* Re: AdaTutor Compilation with GNAT
@ 2011-09-22  5:19 ` Jeffrey Carter
From: Jeffrey Carter @ 2011-09-22  5:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 09/21/2011 07:57 PM, George wrote:

> As I am new to Ada, it seems that GNAT expects the specification and the
> body of a package to reside in different files. In the sources of
> AdaTutor, specification and body reside in one .ADA file.

This is correct: GNAT requires one compilation unit per file. Try using gnatchop
to break the files into something that GNAT can handle.

gnatchop ADA95.ADA

should break it into custom_io.ads and custom_io.adb.

gnatchop VANILLA.ADA

should do the same.

--
Jeff Carter
"If you think you got a nasty taunting this time,

* Re: AdaTutor Compilation with GNAT
@ 2011-09-22  5:42   ` Georg Maubach
From: Georg Maubach @ 2011-09-22  5:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Jeffrey,

> This is correct: GNAT requires one compilation unit per file. Try using
> gnatchop to break the files into something that GNAT can handle.

Many thanks for your help. This did the job.

@ 2011-09-22 14:30   ` Robert A Duff
From: Robert A Duff @ 2011-09-22 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jeffrey Carter <spam.jrcarter.not@spam.not.acm.org> writes:

> This is correct: GNAT requires one compilation unit per file. Try using
> gnatchop to break the files into something that GNAT can handle.

There are ways to make GNAT accept more than one comp unit per file.
Consult the docs if you really want to do that.

But gnatchop is really the simplest way to go.

- Bob