* Re: How would I determine the contents of a directory
       [not found] <1151501965.792188.167030@b68g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>
@ 2006-06-28 13:53 ` M E Leypold
From: M E Leypold @ 2006-06-28 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Chris L" <clusardi2k@aol.com> writes:

> Within Ada how would I do that?

Within Ada 95 -> no way. There are three methods of getting out of
that:

  (1) Writing your own Index file in the directory in question any
      time you create a new file. Your application can then only see
      the files it created itself, but that's good enough for a number
      of apllication areas.

  (2) Use OS-specific binding (Florist, Win32Ada) to write a directory
      reading procedure of you own.

  (3) If you use GNAT: There is a directory package in the Gnat
      specific libraries.

  (4) see
      http://www.martin.dowie.btinternet.co.uk/Directories/adabrowse/ada-directories.html
      for a Windows only backport Ada.Directories.

Within Ada 2005: Ada.Directories is in the standard libraries

Regards -- Markus

@ 2006-06-28 13:59 ` Peter Hermann
From: Peter Hermann @ 2006-06-28 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Chris L <clusardi2k@aol.com> wrote:
> Within Ada how would I do that?

use package ada.directories

@ 2006-06-29  2:04 ` Steve
From: Steve @ 2006-06-29  2:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Chris L" <clusardi2k@aol.com> wrote in message
> Within Ada how would I do that?
>
> Thank you,
> Christopher Lusardi

If you are using Ada 2005 you can use Ada.Directories.  In Ada 95 the answer
is depends on the target OS and Ada compiler.

Steve
(The Duck)

* Re: How would I determine the contents of a directory
@ 2006-06-29 17:05   ` tmoran
From: tmoran @ 2006-06-29 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

> (2) Use OS-specific binding (Florist, Win32Ada) to write a directory
>     reading procedure of you own.
  Or CLAW (www.rrsoftware.com) for Windows.

* Re: How would I determine the contents of a directory
@ 2006-06-29 18:38     ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2006-06-29 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tmoran

tmoran@acm.org a �crit :
>> (2) Use OS-specific binding (Florist, Win32Ada) to write a directory
>>     reading procedure of you own.
>   Or CLAW (www.rrsoftware.com) for Windows.

Or Win32POSIX.

Pascal.

--|              http://www.obry.net
--|

* Re: How would I determine the contents of a directory
@ 2006-06-30  9:06       ` M E Leypold
From: M E Leypold @ 2006-06-30  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pascal Obry <pascal@obry.net> writes:

> tmoran@acm.org a �crit :
> >> (2) Use OS-specific binding (Florist, Win32Ada) to write a directory
> >>     reading procedure of you own.
> >   Or CLAW (www.rrsoftware.com) for Windows.
>
> Or Win32POSIX.
>
> Pascal.

You're cheating now. Isn't Win32POSIC based on Win32Ada? :-)

Did you get my mail, answering two of you answers on my posts? I had a question there ...

Regards -- Markus

* Re: How would I determine the contents of a directory
@ 2006-07-01  7:31         ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2006-07-01  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: M E Leypold

M E Leypold a �crit :
> You're cheating now. Isn't Win32POSIC based on Win32Ada? :-)

Yes, but with Win32POSIX you have portability across platforms if you
are using Florist on UNIX. That's why I've post this message. Also
Win32POSIX (POSIX interface in fact) is far more high level that using
directly the Win32 API. So not really cheating I think...

Pascal.

--|              http://www.obry.net
--|

* Re: How would I determine the contents of a directory
@ 2006-07-01  8:58           ` M E Leypold
From: M E Leypold @ 2006-07-01  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pascal Obry <pascal@obry.net> writes:

> M E Leypold a �crit :
> > You're cheating now. Isn't Win32POSIC based on Win32Ada? :-)
>
> Yes, but with Win32POSIX you have portability across platforms if you
> are using Florist on UNIX. That's why I've post this message. Also

Yes that's an advantage.

> Win32POSIX (POSIX interface in fact) is far more high level that using
> directly the Win32 API. So not really cheating I think...

I've been sort of joking, actually, (1) to prove that I've been paying
attention and know the package (yep, sir!) and (2) to give the OP the
additional information that this is not a totally independend
solution.

No offense intended, indeed. :-)

Regards -- Markus