* Ada IDEs (was Re: Re-Marketing Ada)
@ 2003-11-18 18:36 Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2003-11-18 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Stephane Richard" <stephane.richard@verizon.net> writes:

> OF course, before the GPS (Gnat programming system) thre also was nothing
> close to an integrated IDE for Ada either.

Hmph. Emacs is the best IDE around, as well as being the oldest, and
it supports Ada very well, and has for years.

I guess you mean "easy to learn" "point and click" IDE, as opposed to
"powerful and productive" IDE. Even there, recent Emacsen (plural of
Emacs :) are pretty good at providing guidance to newbies (not as good
as GPS, I'll grant you).

> Seems today, the popular thing is wizards in applcations that
> accomplish basic setup of applications for example. visual tools
> like that that eases the development cycle a bit.

Only for systems that match what the wizard does. One of the reasons I
like Emacs and Ada is that they do _not_ impose any programming
paradigms; they let you use which ever one is best for the problem at
hand.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: Ada IDEs (was Re: Re-Marketing Ada)
@ 2003-11-18 20:48 ` Stephane Richard
From: Stephane Richard @ 2003-11-18 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Stephen Leake" <Stephe.Leake@nasa.gov> wrote in message
> "Stephane Richard" <stephane.richard@verizon.net> writes:
>
> Hmph. Emacs is the best IDE around, as well as being the oldest, and
> it supports Ada very well, and has for years.
>
> I guess you mean "easy to learn" "point and click" IDE, as opposed to
> "powerful and productive" IDE. Even there, recent Emacsen (plural of
> Emacs :) are pretty good at providing guidance to newbies (not as good
> as GPS, I'll grant you).

*** Yeah, again the ever popular VC++'s IDE, VB's IDE, Delphi's IDE and the
likes.  When I say integrated I don't just mean an editor that can execute a
compiler/linker.  Bur you are right to say that they do impose a paradigm.
And Since Ada is much more than a simple paradigm, beyond it dare I say.  I
guess wizards and code generators, for Ada, would need a Paradigm Type
selection box ;-).

> Only for systems that match what the wizard does. One of the reasons I
> like Emacs and Ada is that they do _not_ impose any programming
> paradigms; they let you use which ever one is best for the problem at
> hand.
>
> --
> -- Stephe

You're getting me convinced Steph :-)...Although I've installed LInux a few
times I haven't really had the change to get accustomed to Emacs and any Ada
extensions to it.  Can I get that for windows and does it/would it work the
same and as well under windows?

If so, I need a URL to Emacs (for windows) and to any tools that might prove
helpful for my Ada coding :-).  I'm plannign a dual boot Windows / Linux,
but I'm not there yet...so I only have windows for now (I know I'm a
sadomajochist ;-).  Windows 98 no less :-O.

I'd like to see first hand how Emacs and Ada work together.

--
St�phane Richard
"Ada World" Webmaster

* Re: Ada IDEs (was Re: Re-Marketing Ada)
@ 2003-11-18 20:49 ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2003-11-18 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

> "Stephane Richard" <stephane.richard@verizon.net> writes:
>
> > OF course, before the GPS (Gnat programming system) thre also was
nothing
> > close to an integrated IDE for Ada either.
>
> Hmph. Emacs is the best IDE around, as well as being the oldest, and
> it supports Ada very well, and has for years.

And, besides that, Aonix and Rational have had extensive IDEs available for
many years. Even Janus/Ada has IDEs for years.

The only way to make the original statement true is to replace Ada by GNAT
(something a lot of people seem to do anyway), and then forget about EMACS,
AdaGide, etc.

                Randy.

* Re: Ada IDEs (was Re: Re-Marketing Ada)
@ 2003-11-18 21:29   ` David C. Hoos
From: David C. Hoos @ 2003-11-18 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephane Richard, comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org

Here's that URL:
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/windows/ntemacs.html

I use Emacs with ada-mode, and cua-mode, and a few other
things that make life easier.

This way, I have the same IDE on Windows ason UNIX.

@ 2003-11-18 21:54   ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2003-11-18 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Stephane Richard" <stephane.richard@verizon.net> writes:

> When I say integrated I don't just mean an editor that can execute a
> compiler/linker.

What else do you mean?

> Bur you are right to say that they do impose a paradigm. And Since
> Ada is much more than a simple paradigm, beyond it dare I say. I
> guess wizards and code generators, for Ada, would need a Paradigm
> Type selection box ;-).

Exactly.

> You're getting me convinced Steph :-)...Although I've installed
> LInux a few times I haven't really had the change to get accustomed
> to Emacs and any Ada extensions to it. Can I get that for windows
> and does it/would it work the same and as well under windows?

Yes

> If so, I need a URL to Emacs (for windows)

http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/windows/ntemacs.html

> and to any tools that might prove helpful for my Ada coding :-).

Mostly Cygwin. See my list of tools at
http://www.toadmail.com/~ada_wizard/ada/sal.html#installation

--

@ 2003-11-18 23:03   ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2003-11-18 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephane Richard <stephane.richard@verizon.net> wrote:
: I'd like to see first hand how Emacs and Ada work together.

Very well :-)  I think the Emacs tutorial is very worthwhile.
Type Ctrl-H followed by t, or click on Help->Tutorial.
Ada Mode for Emacs has its own description in info mode,
or other formats if you prefer.

Georg

* Re: Ada IDEs (was Re: Re-Marketing Ada)
@ 2003-11-19 16:56     ` Peter Hermann
From: Peter Hermann @ 2003-11-19 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Georg Bauhaus <sb463ba@l1-hrz.uni-duisburg.de> wrote:
> Stephane Richard <stephane.richard@verizon.net> wrote:
> : I'd like to see first hand how Emacs and Ada work together.
> Very well :-)  I think the Emacs tutorial is very worthwhile.
> Type Ctrl-H followed by t, or click on Help->Tutorial.
> Ada Mode for Emacs has its own description in info mode,
> or other formats if you prefer.

I made several attempts to draw near usage of emacs
but never really caught it because I am at war with those
ctrl-x/y/z , metaKey on the one side and my various keyboards
(DEC vt100/200/420, SGI, PC, etc.)
on the other side and how to best map     .....      :-(
(seufz <-- that is German)

--
--Peter Hermann(49)0711-685-3611 fax3758 ica2ph@csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de
--Pfaffenwaldring 27 Raum 114, D-70569 Stuttgart Uni Computeranwendungen

* Re: Ada IDEs (was Re: Re-Marketing Ada)
@ 2003-11-19 17:55       ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2003-11-19 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Hermann <ica2ph@sinus.csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de> writes:

> Georg Bauhaus <sb463ba@l1-hrz.uni-duisburg.de> wrote:
>
> I made several attempts to draw near usage of emacs
> but never really caught it because I am at war with those
> ctrl-x/y/z , metaKey on the one side and my various keyboards
> (DEC vt100/200/420, SGI, PC, etc.)
> on the other side and how to best map     .....      :-(
> (seufz <-- that is German)

The solution here is to totally remap the Emacs commands to your
liking. That's what I do. See my emacs stuff at