* Strange error in ADA program
@ 2001-12-04 14:34 Stian Kaasa
From: Stian Kaasa @ 2001-12-04 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have an ADA program with a strange problem.
The program builds fine ( Solaris 2.5.1, VADS ADA 6.2.3 ), but during
execution it stops with the following error:

Error in kernel:: exception_handler: unexpectet SIGILL code 0

I expected control to be sent to my Exception handler, but this is not
happending.

Anyone who has experienced this error-message ?

SK

* Re: Strange error in ADA program
@ 2001-12-04 14:54 ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2001-12-04 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <2a5P7.6268$yB2.127086@news1.oke.nextra.no>, Stian Kaasa says...

>I have an ADA program with a strange problem.
>The program builds fine ( Solaris 2.5.1, VADS ADA 6.2.3 ), but during
>execution it stops with the following error:
>
>Error in kernel:: exception_handler: unexpectet SIGILL code 0
>
>I expected control to be sent to my Exception handler, but this is not
>happending.

The way I remember it (we are talking about 6 years ago), that compiler uses
certian signals internally for its tasking exec. You have to be aware of that,
and avoid using those signals. You may want to check your VADS docs to see if
SIGILL is one of them.

---

However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

* Re: Strange error in ADA program
@ 2001-12-05  7:25 ` Lars Troppen
From: Lars Troppen @ 2001-12-05  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Stian Kaasa" <stian.kaasa@caa.no> writes:

> I have an ADA program with a strange problem.
> The program builds fine ( Solaris 2.5.1, VADS ADA 6.2.3 ), but during
> execution it stops with the following error:
>
> Error in kernel:: exception_handler: unexpectet SIGILL code 0
>
> I expected control to be sent to my Exception handler, but this is not
> happending.
>
> Anyone who has experienced this error-message ?

Yes I have seen this error message from time to time when the Ada program
causes a signal (sigill,sigbus) and so on. I have no experience with
VADS ADA 6.2.3 , but we have been using SunAda 2.1.1 which is a VADS 6.2
something sold by Sun. I found that this error only exist when you run
on an UltraSparc platform, running the same program on older sparcs (5/10/20)
gives your exception handler the control.

However running the program in the debugger normally gives you a clue about
what is causing the error.

Lars Troppen, Dept DC4S, Kongsberg Defence & Aerospace
PO 1003, N3601 Kongsberg, Norway
Tel: (+47) 32288722 Mail: lars.g.troppen@kongsberg.com