From: "Dmitry A. Kazakov" <mailbox@dmitry-kazakov.de>
Subject: Re: Ada compiler/debugger/GUI development IDE for WindowsXP/Linux
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 20:35:09 +0100
Date: 2005-03-03T20:35:03+01:00	[thread overview]

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 01:29:38 +1100, Simone Freouble wrote:

> I am new to Ada. Can some Ada gurus/experts recommend me a freeware and/or
> "low-cost"/academic/student version of an Ada Compiler+Debugger+GUI
> development IDE for WindowsXP and/or Linux (Fedore Core3) ?

1. GNAT

Under Fedora just install gcc-gnat package. That will give you the GNAT
compiler:

$>yum install gcc-gnat

For Windows you can download it from here:

http://libre.act-europe.fr

A good IDE for GNAT (alas, without integrated debugger) for Windows is
AdaGIDE:

http://www.usafa.af.mil/dfcs/bios/mcc_html/adagide.html

You could also try GPS (the same http://libre.act-europe.fr), which is a
platform-independent IDE for GNAT, but its publicly available version is
very beta to be usable for debugging.

2. ObjectAda

Compiler+IDE+Debugger of Aonix. Its IDE is more bearable (as compared to
GPS). It resembles MSVC IDE, though lacks many of its features. Aonix has a
special limited (in terms of project size) version:

http://www.aonix.com/oa_win_demo.html

It seems that they might have it for Linux as well, but I never tried it
there.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov