From: "Randy Brukardt" <randy@rrsoftware.com>
Subject: Re: ASM 86 file for use with GNAT for MS-DOS
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 10:29:28 -0500
Date: 2003-08-05T10:29:28-05:00	[thread overview]

"Vinzent Hoefler" <ada.rocks@jlfencey.com> wrote in message
news:bgo6af$qapgn$1@ID-175126.news.uni-berlin.de...
Debs Wisbey wrote:

>>I have the old *.obj file that was generated and wondered if it is
>>possible for me to link this file using GNAT 3.10p for MS-DOS?

>Probably not. I doubt that Alsys uses the same format (COFF), if it is
>32-bit yet at all.

>But be warned: even if these sources assemble some day, that doesn't
>mean, that everything will work as expected. I suspect your old files
>assume a 16-bit-model and GNAT is 32-bit, so depending on what exactly
>the assembly files are for, that can make a huge difference.

>The better approach would be to rewrite it...

Right. If that is 16-bit assembly code, there is no chance that it will work
with a 32-bit compiler like GNAT.

An option would be to port it to Janus/Ada 83 instead, we still support the
16-bit version of that.

Otherwise, you'll have to get rid of the assembler code, replacing it by Ada
(hopefully) and possibly in-line assembler. You may need to find someone who
understands 8086 assembler to do that. (I may be available. :-)

                               Randy.