From: "Randy Brukardt" <randy@rrsoftware.com>
Subject: Re: Generic formal access types
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 14:39:27 -0500
Date: 2003-05-02T14:39:27-05:00	[thread overview]

Robert A Duff wrote in message ...
>When I invented the Address_To_Access_Conversions package (see chap
13),
>I made the mistake of declaring the pointer type inside the generic,
>because I thought the primary use would be peek/poke functionality, so
>you would always say ".all" right away.  And it makes the instantiation
>simpler.  But it turns out to be a pain.

I always wondered whose fault that was. :-)

Whenever use that package, I almost always declare the access type
first, then realize that isn't right and have to change it. And, it
often is the case that it has to be converted to another type.

(But I've found that avoid System.Address altogether is a better
solution. There really is no reason to use it in Ada 95 outside of
address clauses.)

             Randy.